Research Areas and Interests
Professor Sian Maslin-Prothero
|Telephone:||(61 8) 63043937|
- August 2010 – ongoing: Honorary Professor of Health and Ageing, Keele University, Staffordshire, United Kingdom (UK)
- June 2008–July 2010: Dean of the Graduate School, Keele University, Staffordshire, United Kingdom (UK)
- April 2005–July 2010: Professor of Nursing, Keele University, Staffordshire, UK
- August 2001–March 2005: Senior Lecturer, School of Nursing and Midwifery, University of Southampton, Southampton, UK
- January 1996–July 2001: Lecturer, School of Nursing, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK
- June 1993–December 1995: Senior Education Manager (Grade 3), Flexible Learning, Avon and Gloucestershire College of Health, Bristol, UK
- July 1990–May 1993: Nurse Teacher (Grade 2), Avon College of Health, Bristol, UK
- January 1988–June 1990: Unqualified Nurse Teacher (Grade 1), Frenchay Hospital Nurse Education Centre, Bristol, UK
- September 1985–January 1988: Ward Sister, Care of the Elderly, Manor Park Hospital, Bristol, UK
- May 1984–September 1985: Staff Nurse, Care of the Elderly, Manor Park Hospital, Bristol, UK
- May 1983–February 1984: Ward Sister: Port Hedland Hospital, Western Australia; Meekatharra Hospital, Western Australia; Royal Alexandra Hospital, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia.
- August 1982-March 1983: Staff Nurse Midwife, Mary Stanley NHS Nursing Home, Bridgwater, Somerset, UK
- December 1980–July 1981: Staff Nurse, Ear Nose & Throat Ward, Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford, UK
- Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia
- Royal College of Nursing Australia
- Nursing and Midwifery Council United Kingdom
- Royal College of Nursing United Kingdom
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy United Kingdom
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Medicine United Kingdom
Research Areas and Interests
- Aged care
- Interprofessional working in academia and practice
- Working in partnership with key stakeholders through education, research and practice
- PhD (Doctoral Degree), England, 2001 .
- M (Master Degree), England, 1994 .
- Dip (Diploma), England, 1988 .
Recent Publications (within the last five years)
- Kable, A., Pich, J., Maslin-Prothero, S., (2012), A structured approach to documenting a search strategy for publication: A 12 step guideline for authors. Nurse Education Today, 32(8), 878-886, UK, DOI: 10.1016/j.nedt.2012.02.022.
- Middling, S., Bailey, J., Maslin-Prothero, S., Scharf, T., (2011), Gardening and the social engagement of older people. Working with Older People, 15(3), 112-122, DOI: 10.1108/13663661011176660.
- Rout, A., Ashby, S., Maslin-Prothero, S., Masterson, A., Priest, H., Beach, M., Harrison, G., Mann, P., Sturdy, D., (2011), A literature review of interprofessional working and intermediate care in the UK. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 20(5-6), 775?783, DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-2702.2009.03156.x.
- Read, S., Maslin-Prothero, S., (2011), The Involvement of Users and Carers in Health and Social Research: The Realities of Inclusion and Engagement. Qualitative Health Research, 21(5), 704?713, DOI: 10.1177/1049732310391273.
- Corner, J., Yardley, J., Maher, E., Roffe, L., Young, T., Maslin-Prothero, S., Gwilliam, C., Haviland, J., Lewith, G., (2009), Patterns of complementary and alternative medicine use among patients undergoing cancer treatment. European Journal of Cancer Care, 18(3), 271-279, United Kingdom, DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-2354.2007.00911.x.
Research Student Supervision
- A Detailed Analysis Of The Practice Of Breast Cancer Follow-up..
- Exacerbations Of Severe Asthma: Psychosocial Predictors And The Impact Of A Nurse-led Clinic.
- A Case Study Investigating How A Set Of Placement Learning Preceptsa Are Implemented And Enacted By Key Players That Contribute To Pre-registration Nurse Programmes In One School In The United Kingdom.
- Engaging Families With A Premature Family History Of Heart Disease: Primary Prevention For Coronary Heart Disease.