Research Areas and Interests
Dr Judith Pugh
Research Associate - Research Scholar
Contact Information Telephone: (61 8) 6304 3513, Email: email@example.com, Campus: Joondalup, Room: JO21.456
|Telephone:||(61 8) 6304 3513|
- 2010-Present: Research Associate, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Edith Cowan University
- 2010-2011: Research Associate (casual), Curtin University – Projects Diabetic ketoacidosis: Understanding self care choices of adolescents with Type I diabetes; and Impact of a transition coordinator for adolescents with type I diabetes mellitus in transition from Princes Margaret Hospital for Children to Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital
- 2009-2010: Research Associate (casual), Western Australian Centre for Cancer and Palliative Care, Curtin University
- 2006-2010: Research Associate (part-time, fixed-term), Social Justice Research Centre, Edith Cowan University. Responsible for project management, instrument development, data collection and analysis, and report writing for Australian Research Council Linkage Project The costs of meeting and not meeting the need for support services for people with intellectual disability in Western Australia; and Lotterywest Social Research Grant project Cross-sectoral frameworks for community development: An investigation of the relationship between local government and the nongovernment sectors in the design and delivery of community development and community services in WA.
- 2006: Flexible Learning Developer (fixed-term), Edith Cowan University
- 2004-2005: Tutor (sessional), School of Communications and Multimedia, Edith Cowan University
- 1997-2003: Health Education Senior Project Officer (part-time), Hepatitis Council of WA. Responsible for research, development and evaluation of hepatitis C-related health promotion and community education resources in variety of media; needs assessments; editing members’ newsletter; and production of public relations materials.
- 1995: Research Assistant (fixed-term), School of Education, Murdoch University, WA – Public perceptions of biotechnology project
- 1995-1996: Professional Projects Officer (fixed-term), Nurses Board of Western Australia
- 1994-1995: Nurse Researcher, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital
- 1994: Acting Staff Development Nurse Projects (fixed-term), Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital – Developed self-paced, competency-based orientation program for registered nurses
- 1994: Research Assistant (fixed-term), Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Episodes of Care project
- 1991-1992: Acting Staff Development Educator (fixed-term), Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital
- 1990-1991: Clinical Nurse, Intensive Care Unit, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital
- 1990: Staff Development Nurse (fixed-term), Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital. Undertook curriculum design and development of Critical Care Nursing Course.
- 1988-1990: Registered / Clinical Nurse, Intensive Care Unit, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, WA
- 1986-1988: Senior Tutor (fixed-term), School of Nursing, Curtin University of Technology, WA
- 1984-1986: Registered Nurse, Coronary and Intensive Care, Prince Alfred Hospital, New South Wales
- 1984-1986: Registered Nurse, Intensive Care, Sydney Hospital, New South Wales
Research Areas and Interests
- Self-management of chronic back pain
- Nurse health and wellbeing
- Patient outcomes and nurse staffing
- Home based trial of void
- Chronic back pain and the Feldenkrais Method
- Doctor of Philosophy, Edith Cowan University, 2006 .
- MEd (Master of Education), Curtin University of Technology, 1994 .
- Post Grad Dip In Curriculum & Educational Tech, Curtin University of Technology, 1989 .
Recent Research Grants
- Evaluation of Fiona Stanley Hospital Ward Practice Environments from the Perspective of Nurses and Midwives., South Metropolitan Health Service, Grant, 2013 - 2016, $87,798.
- Measuring the Effect of Nurse Staffing and Care Delivery Models upon Patient Outcomes (Nursing Sensitive Outcomes) in the Western Australian Acute Care Context, Department of Health WA, Grant, 2010 - 2014, $165,000.
- Midwifery Workforce Plan - Safe Affordable and Sustainable Midwifery Staffing Phase 1 and Phase 2, Department of Health WA, Grant, 2010 - 2013, $36,227.
- Developing a Set of Midwifery-Sensitive Patient Outcome Indicators: A Delphi Study, Department of Health WA, Grant, 2013 - 2014, $38,253.
- Impact and Costs of Home-based Trial of Void Case Managed by Advanced Practice Nurse Compared to Day Case Setting, Edith Cowan University, ECU Industry Collaboration Grant - 2012 (Round 1), 2012 - 2013, $140,434.
Recent Publications (within the last five years)
- Pugh, J., Twigg, D., Martin, T., Rai, T., (2013), Western Australia facing critical losses in its midwfiery workforce: A survey of midwives' intentions. Midwifery, 2013(29), 497-505, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.midw.2012.04.006.
- Rapley, P., Kaye, J., Babel, G., Pugh, J., Brown, S., (2012), Exploring blood glucose-related problem solving in at-risk emerging adults with type I diabetes. Australian Diabetes Educator, 15(4), 17-25, Woden, ACT.
- Pugh, J., Twigg, D., Martin, TL., Rai, T., (2012), Western Australia facing critical losses in its midwifery workforce: A survey of midwives' intentions. Midwifery, n/a(n/a), n/a, DOI: 10.1016/j.midw.2012.04.006.
- Taylor, C., Pugh, J., Goodwach, R., Coles, J., (2012), Sexual trauma in women: The importance of identifying a history of sexual violence. Australian Family Physician, 41(7), 538-542, South Melbourne, Victoria.
- O'Connor, M., Pugh, J., Jiwa, M., Hughes, J., Fisher, C., (2011), The palliative care interdisciplinary team: Where is the community pharmacist?. Journal of Palliative Medicine, 14(1), 7-11, New York, DOI: 10.1089/jpm.2010.0369.
Research Student Supervision
- Doctor of Philosophy, Migration Matters: The Experience Of United Kingdom Registered Nurses Migrating To Western Australia..