Research Areas and Interests
Associate Professor Julie Ann Pooley
Contact Information Telephone: (61 8) 6304 5591, Email: email@example.com, Campus: Joondalup, Room: JO30.209
|Telephone:||(61 8) 6304 5591|
|Facsimile:||(61 8) 6304 5834|
Julie is the Associate Dean (Learning and Teaching) in the Faculty of Health, Engineering and Science, and an Associate Professor of Psychology in the School of Psychology and Social Science.
- Methods In Psychology
- Academic (Edith Cowan University and Notre Dame University)
Awards and Recognition
University and National Teaching Awards
- 2011 - Recipient of an Australian Learning and Teaching Council (ALTC) Citation for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning.
- 2011 - Recipient of a Vice-Chancellor’s Citations for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning (VC Citations).
- 2003 - Recipient of the Australian National Award for Excellence in Teaching.
- 2003 - Recipient of the Vice Chancellors Award for Excellence in Teaching.
- 2002, 2006 - Nomination for Excellence in Postgraduate Supervision, awarded by the Edith Cowan University Postgraduate Association.
Research Areas and Interests
- Resilience- Individual, Family and Community.
- Community and Environmental Psychology.
- Scholarship or learning and Teaching.
- Resilience as an aid to personnel vetting.
- Cyclone Preparedness.
- Development of Resilience Scales
- Doctor of Philosophy, Edith Cowan University, 2005 .
- Master, Edith Cowan University, 1998 .
- Post Grad Dip in Psychology, Curtin University of Technology, 1990 .
- Bachelor of Applied Science, Curtin University of Technology, 1989 .
Recent Research Grants
- The Arest-CF Early Surveillance Program for Infants and Children with Cystic Fibrosis: What do Parent Experience and How do They Cope?, Australian Cystic Fibrosis Research Trust, CF WA Mid Term Top Up Scholarship, 2011 - 2013, $30,000.
- A multidisciplinary team approach to improving long term outcomes in sarcoma survivors, Hollywood Functional Rehabilitation Clinic, Johanna Sewell Sarcoma Research Grant, 2013 - 2014, $10,909.
- Regional and Rural Services for Social Inclusion, Edith Cowan University, ECU Industry Collaboration Grant - 2013, 2013, $96,514.
- Family Relationship Centre - Joondalup (North Metropolitan Family Relationship Centre Consortium, Anglicare WA, Grant, 2006 - 2011, $120,000.
- Scale Development: Individual and Family Resilience, Edith Cowan University, ECU Industry Collaboration - Grant, 2010 - 2011, $29,558.
- Mandurah Family Relationship Centre, Anglicare WA, Grant, 2007 - 2011, $4,000.
- Posttraumatic growth and its relationship to resilience and wellbeing in the experience of stressful/adverse events in adults, Edith Cowan University, ECU Early Career Researcher - Grant, 2008 - 2009, $22,500.
- Resilience: What is it and what are the Skills used by Families Affected by Mental Illness?, Edith Cowan University, ECU Industry Collaboration - Grant, 2008 - 2009, $55,466.
- Promoting positive relationships after divorce and seperation, Murdoch University, Grant - Healthway, 2006 - 2009, $23,137.
- Ascertaining the Perceived Risks in the City of Perth, City of Perth, Grant, 2007, $14,070.
- Health and wellbeing assets map City of Joondalup, City of Joondalup, Grant, 2004, $12,500.
Recent Publications (within the last five years)
- Bernstein, D., Pooley, JA., Cohen, L., Goldthorpe, B., Provost, S., Cranney, J., Penner, L., Clarke-Stewart, A., Roy, E., (2013), Psychology: An International Discipline in Context: Australian and New Zealand Edition., 960, Melbourne, Australia.
- Pooley, JA., Cohen, L., O'Connor, M., (2010), Indicators of Community Resilience: A Study of Communities Facing Impending Natural Disasters., 256, Germany.
- Tan, WZ., Cohen, L., Pooley, JA., (2013), The Relationship between Physical Activity and Cognition and its Application to Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Enhancing Human Performance, 22-43, Singapore.
- Ferguson, C., Cohen, L., Pooley, JA., Guilfoyle, A., (2012), The Theory of Planned Behaviour (TPB) and speeding behaviour of young drivers. In Advances in Traffic Psychology, 149-156, London.
- Pooley, JA., Cohen, L., (2012), A Team Teaching Approach to Teaching Undergraduate Psychology. Teaching Psychology around the World: Volume 3, 42-54, London, UK.
- Judd, M., Pooley, JA., (2013), The Psychological Benefits of Participating in Group Singing for Members of the General Public. Psychology of Music, United Kingdom.
- Titlestad, A., Pooley, JA., (2013), Resilience in Same-Sex-Parented Families: The Lived Experience of Adults with Gay, Lesbian, or Bisexual Parents. Journal of GLBT Family Studies, 0-0, DOI: 10.1080/1550428X.2013.833065.
- Tan, WZ., Cohen, L., Pooley, JA., (2013), The Implication of Physical Activity on Attention Span and Quality of Life in Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders: A Pilot Study. Journal of Law and Social Sciences, 2(2), 121, online, DOI: 10.5176/2251-2853_2.2.121#sthash.bvDKjDWY.dpuf.
- Dawson, M., Pooley, JA., (2013), Resilience: The Role of Optimism, Perceived Parental Autonomy Support and Perceived Social Support in First Year University Students. Journal of Education and Training Studies, 1(2), 0-0, united states.
- Maassen, K., Pooley, JA., Taylor, M., (2013), You get forced to live with randoms ... and that makes you stronger as a person?. Homeless Western Australian teenagers? perspectives on their experiences of residing in crisis accommodation. Austalian Community Psychologist, 25(2), 53-73, Melbourne.
- Taylor, M., Edwards, M., Pooley, JA., (2013), Nudging them back to reality: Toward a growing public acceptance of the role dogs fulfill in ameliorating contemporary veterans' PTSD symptoms. Anthrozoos: a multidisciplinary journal of the interactions of people and animals, 26(4), 593-611, DOI: 10.2752/175303713X13795775535896.
- Balmer, G., Pooley, JA., Cohen, L., (2013), Psychological resilience of Western Australian police officers: relationship between resilience, coping style, psychological functioning and demographics. pOLICE, pREACTICE AND rESEARCH: aN iNTERNATIONAL jOURNAL, 1-13, online.
- Pooley, JA., Cohen, L., O'Connor, M., O'Conner, M., Taylor, M., (2012), Posttraumatic stress and posttraumatic growth and their relationship to coping and self-efficacy in Northwest Australian Cyclone communities. Psychological Trauma , 2012(30 April), 1-8, DOI: 10.1037a0028046.
- Ferguson, C., Harms, C., Pooley, JA., Cohen, L., Tomlinson, S., (2012), Crime Prevention: The Role of Individual Resilience within the Family. Psychiatry Psychology and Law, 1-8, Oxon, UK, DOI: 10.1080/13218719.2012.707971.
- Doyle, J., Pooley, JA., Breen, L., (2012), A Phenomenological Exploration of the Childfree Choice in a Sample of Australian Women. , 18(3), 1-11, DOI: 10.1177/1359105312444647.
- Stambulich, D., Pooley, JA., Gately, N., Taylor, M., (2012), Some of my children are worth more than others: Perceptions of non-residential fathers with second families as to the fairness of the Australian Child Support Agency's handling of first family child support financial arrangements. Marriage and Family Review, 48(8), 769-791, DOI: 10.1080/01494929.2012.714721.
- O'Brien, K., Cohen, L., Pooley, JA., Taylor, M., (2012), Lifting the domestic cloak of silence: Resilient Australian women's reflected memories of their childhood experiences of witnessing domestic violence. Journal of Family Violence, 28(1), 95-108, DOI: 10.1007/s10896-012-9484-7.
- Soto, R., Pooley, JA., Cohen, L., Taylor, M., (2012), Students with ASD in mainstream primary education settings: Teachers' experiences in Western Australian classrooms. Austalasian Journal of Special Education, 36(2), 97-111, DOI: 10.1017/jse.2012.10.
- Cohen, L., Pooley, JA., Ferguson, C., Harms, C., (2011), Psychologists? understanding of resilience: implications for the discipline of psychology and psychology practice. The Australian Community Psychologist, 23(2), 7-22.
- Cohen, L., Ferguson, C., Harms, C., Pooley, JA., Tomlinson, S., (2011), Family systems and mental health issues: A resilience approach. Journal of Social Work Practice, 25(1), 109-125, DOI: 10.1080/02650533.2010.533754.
- Griffiths, N., Pooley, JA., (2011), Resilience in Families with Same-Sex Parents. The Australian Community Psychologist, 23(2), 50-67.
- Pooley, JA., Cohen, L., O'Connor, M., (2010), Bushfire Communities and Resilience: What can they tell us?. Australian Journal of Emergency Management, 25(2), 33-38, Canberra.
- Pooley, JA., Cohen, L., (2010), Resilience: A Definition in Context. The Australian Community Psychologist, 22(1), 30-37.
- Branch-Smith, C., Pooley, JA., (2010), Women firefighters? experiences in the Western Australian volunteer bush fire service. Australian Journal of Emergency Management, 25(3), 12-18, Canberra.
- Munro, B., Pooley, JA., (2009), Differences in Resilience and University Adjustment between School Leaver and Mature Entry University Students. The Australian Community Psychologist, 21(1), 50-61.
- Tan, WZ., Cohen, L., Pooley, JA., (2013), The Implication of Physical Activity on Attention Span and Quality of Life in Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder: A Pilot Study. 2nd Annual International Conference on Cognitive and Behavioral Psychology previous papers, 40-49, Singapore, DOI: 10.5176/2251-1865_CBP13.29.
- Brooks, D., Corkill, J., Pooley, JA., Cohen, L., Ferguson, C., Harms, C., (2010), National security: A propositional study to develop resilience indicators as an aid to personnel vetting. Proceedings of the 3rd Australian Security and Intelligence Conference, 35-43, Perth.
- Ferguson, C., Cohen, L., Pooley, JA., Guilfoyle, A., (2009), Elicitiing the beliefs of young drivers about driving risks: An analysis of two methodologies. Proceedings of the 2009 Australasian Road Safety Research, Policing and Education Conference : Smarter, Safer Directions, 826-838, Sydney, New South Wales.
Research Student Supervision
- Doctor of Psychology, Post-traumatic Growth In Carers Of People With A Mental Illness..
- Doctor of Psychology, Self Reported Stress And Posttraumatic Growth Following The Transition To Motherhood: Investigating The Role Of Social Support And Self Efficacy..
- Doctor of Philosophy, Improving Community Water Conservation Behaviour In Chachoengsao, Thailand.
- Doctor of Philosophy, An Exploration Of The Social Construction Of Ageing Based On Lived Experiences: Perspectives From The Western Australian And Welsh Community.
- Doctor of Philosophy, An Exploration Of The Relationship Between Attitudes To Driving And Driving Behaviour In Young Novice Drivers..
- Doctor of Philosophy, The Transition Experience To Boarding School For Male Aboriginal Secondary School Students From Regional And Remote Communities Across Western Australia.
- Doctor of Psychology, The Construction Of Wellbeing For Sole Mothers: An Exploration Of The Relationship Between Work, Welfare, Social Justice And Wellbeing For Sole Mothers..
- Doctor of Psychology, Childhood Obesity: Investigating Factors That Influence Weight Loss Success Among Obese And Overweight Sevel To Twelve Year Olds..
- Doctor of Psychology, The Relationship Between Residential Satisfaction, Sense Of Community, Sense Of Belonging And Sense Of Place In Western Australia Urban Planned Community..