Research Areas and Interests
Associate Professor Paul Chang
Contact Information Telephone: (61 8) 6304 5745, Email: email@example.com, Campus: Joondalup, Room: JO30.210
|Telephone:||(61 8) 6304 5745|
|Facsimile:||(61 8) 6304 5834|
- PSY2202 - Research Methods in Psychology 2
- PSY3303 - Research Applications and Ethical Issues
- PSY3350 - Biological Psychology, Sensation and Perception
- 1985-1989 - Clinical Audiologist, National Acoustic Laboratories
- 1989-1991 - Research Assistant, University of Minnesota
- 1993-1996 - Teaching Assistant, University of Chicago
- 1997-1998 - Clinical Audiologist, Australian Hearing
- 1998-2004 - Lecturer, Edith Cowan University
- 2005-2010 - Senior Lecturer, Edith Cowan University
- 2010-present - Associate Professor, Edith Cowan University
- Member, Association for Psychological Science
Awards and Recognition
University and National Teaching Awards
- 2009 - Australian Learning and Teaching Council (ALTC) Citation for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning
- 2003 - ALTC Australian Award for University Teaching (team award)
- 2003 - ECU Vice Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching
- 2009 - ECU Vice-Chancellor’s Citation for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning
- 1989-1996 - Fulbright Scholarship
- 1984 - UWA H. L. Fowler Prize in Psychology
- 1983 - UWA Lady James Prize in Natural Science
Research Areas and Interests
- Face recognition by adults and children
- Attitudes towards sun protection: Using photoaging images to change parents’ attitudes towards sun protection
- Attitudes towards smoking: Using personalised ‘smoker’s face’ simulations to decrease positive attitudes to smoking
- Attitudes towards noise-induced hearing loss: Using auditory simulations to convince people of the threat of noise exposure
- Improving quality in learning and teaching in tertiary education
- Health promotion
- Cognitive and developmental psychology
- PhD, United States of America, 1997 .
- Master of Arts, United States of America, 1991 .
- Bachelor of Science, The University of Western Australia, 1985 .
Recent Research Grants
- The Cone of Deafness: An interactive demonstration of the difficulties in communication between people when they have simulated hearing loss and tinnitus, Department of Health, Grant, 2009 - 2011, $90,535.
- Using Auditory Simulations to Enable Prevention of Noise Exposure in School Age Children and Young Adults, Department of Health, Grant, 2008 - 2010, $214,085.
- UV Photos Enhance Parent's Commitment to Protect Their Children From The Sun, Healthway (WA Health Promotion Foundation), Healthway - Grant, 2004 - 2007, $81,778.
Recent Publications (within the last five years)
- Carter, O., Welch, M., Mills, B., Phan, T., Chang, P., (2013), Tobacco plain packaging improves retail transaction times: first real-life data from Australia repudiating tobacco retailer scaremongering. British Medical Journal, 346(f), 1063.
- Holt, D., Cohen, L., Campbell-Evans, G., Chang, P., Macdonald, I., McDonald, J., (2013), Leading at the coalface: The world as experienced by subject coordinators in Australian higher educaiton. Educational Management, Administration & Leadership, DOI: 10.1177/1741143212468346.
- Cohen, L., Chang, P., Hendricks, J., Cope, V., Harman, B., (2011), Enhancing psychology students' experiences: The development of an undergraduate leadership programme. Psychology Learning and Teaching, 10(2), 164-169, DOI: 10.2304/plat.2011.10.2.164.
Research Student Supervision
- Doctor of Philosophy, Rejected By The Family For Being Lesbian And Gay: Exploring And Testing Factors That Contribute To Resilience..
- Doctor of Philosophy, Living Fifo: The Experiences And Psychosocial Wellbeing Of Western Australian Fly-in/fly-out Mining Employees And Partners.
- Doctor of Philosophy, Individual Adaptation To Discontinuous Employment For Australian Workers: A Longitudinal Mixed Method Study.