Research Areas and Interests
Dr Myra Taylor
Post Doctoral Research Fellow
|Telephone:||(61 8) 6304 5728|
- 2011-current: Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Lifespan Resilience Research Group, School of Psychology and Social Science, Edith Cowan University
- 2008–2011: Postdoctoral Research Fellow,Centre for Child and Adolescent Related Disorders, Graduate School of Education, University of Western Australia
- 2002–2007: Associate Acting Deputy Director: Centre for Child and Adolescent Related Disorders and Research Associate ARC Discovery Project Grant Manager (AD/HD), University of Western Australia
- 1999–2002: Full-time Doctoral Candidate, University of Western Australia, Australia
- 1997–1998: Full time Master Candidate,Exeter University, England
- 1993–1996: Year 2 Teacher,Dominican Convent School, Johannesburg, South Africa
- 1990–1993: Year 4 Teacher: St Olaf’s School, Utah, USA
Awards and Recognition
National and International Research Positions
- 2007 University of Western Australia Post-Doctoral Re-Entry Research Fellowship.
Risk, reputation and graffiti: Developing a new model and intervention for reducing graffiti.
- 2002 Western Australian Institute for Education Research (WAIER) Cameron Prize.
Research Areas and Interests
- Youth Crime
- Implications of crime
- Child and adolescent learning, emotional and behavioural disorders
- Resilience across the lifespan
- Early childhood development
- Domestic violence
- MSocSc (Master of Social Science), Edith Cowan University, 2011 .
- PGradDip (Post Graduate Diploma), Edith Cowan University, 2007 .
- PhD (Doctoral Degree), The University of Western Australia, 2003 .
- M (Master Degree), United Kingdom, 1998 .
Recent Publications (within the last five years)
- Taylor, M., Goldman, S., (2012), When empathy fails to eventuate in the counseling therapeutic session: Implications for the training and practice of students. University Teaching and Faculty Development Research Compendium, n/a, New York.
- O'Brien, K., Cohen, L., Pooley, JA., Taylor, M., (2012), Lifting the domestic cloak of silence: Resilient Australian women's reflected memories of their childhood experiences of witnessing domestic violence. Journal of Family Violence, 28(1), 95-108, DOI: 10.1007/s10896-012-9484-7.
- Taylor, M., (2012), As long as you're resilient you'll succeed: School disaffected adolescents' perspectives on their willingness to engage in high injury-risk graffiti-writing activities. International Journal on School Disaffection, 9(2), 37-51, London, UK.
- Pooley, JA., Cohen, L., O'Connor, M., O'Conner, M., Taylor, M., (2012), Posttraumatic stress and posttraumatic growth and their relationship to coping and self-efficacy in Northwest Australian Cyclone communities. Psychological Trauma , 2012(30 April), 1-8, DOI: 10.1037a0028046.
- Soto, R., Pooley, JA., Cohen, L., Taylor, M., (2012), Students with ASD in mainstream primary education settings: Teachers' experiences in Western Australian classrooms. Austalasian Journal of Special Education, 36(2), 97-111, DOI: 10.1017/jse.2012.10.
- Taylor, M., Khan, U., (2012), Graffiti offenders' patterns of desistance and persistence in crime: New insights into reducing recidivist offending. The Police Journal, 85, , 5-28, DOI: 10.1350/pojo.2012.85.1.571.
- Taylor, M., (2012), As long as your're resilient you'll succeed: School disaffected adolescents' perspectives on their willingness to engage in high injury-risk graffiti-writing activities. The International Journal of School Disaffection, 9(2), 39-51.
- Taylor, M., Khan, U., (2012), A comparison of police processing reports for juvenile graffiti offenders: Societal implications. Police practice and research: an intenational journal, 2012(iFirst), 1-15, DOI: 10.1080/15614263.2012.722781.
- Stambulich, D., Pooley, JA., Gately, N., Taylor, M., (2012), Some of my children are worth more than others: Perceptions of non-residential fathers with second families as to the fairness of the Australian Child Support Agency's handling of first family child support financial arrangements. Marriage and Family Review, 48(8), 769-791, DOI: 10.1080/01494929.2012.714721.
- Stambulich, D., Pooley, JA., Gately, N., Taylor, M., (2012), "Some of My Children Are Worth More Than Others": Perceptions of Nonresidential Fathers with Second Families as to the Fairness of the Australian Child Support Agency's Handling of First Family Child Support Financial Arrangements. Marriage and Family Review, 48(8), 769-791, DOI: 10.1080/01494929.2012.714721.
- Taylor, M., Goldman, S., (2011), When empathy mails to eventuate in the counselling therapeutic session: Implications for the training and practice of students. International Journal of University Teaching and Faculty Development, 1(3), 171-182.
- Houghton, S., Durkin, K., Ang, R., Taylor, M., Brandtman, M., (2011), Measuring temporal self-regulation in children with and without Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. European Journal of Psychological Assessment, 27(2), 88-94 .
- Taylor, M., Marais, I., Cottman, R., (2011), Patterns of graffiti offending towards recognition that graffiti offending is more than kids messing around. Policing and Society, n/a(n/a), 1-17, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10439463.2011.605128.
- Taylor, M., Marais, I., (2011), Not in my back schoolyard: School and skate-park builds in Western Australia. Australian Planner, 48(2), 84-95, DOI: 10.1080/07293682.2011.561825.
- Taylor, M., (2011), Hanging with the Hoodies: Towards an understanding of the territorial tagging practices of prolific graffiti writers seeking an adolescent non-conforming social identity. International Journal of Child & Adolescent Health, 4(3), 223-232.
- Taylor, M., Khan, U., (2011), Skate-park builds, teenaphobia and the adolescent need for hang-out spaces: The social utility and functionality of urban skate parks. Journal of Urban Design, 16(4), 489-510, DOI: 10.1080/13574809.2011.586142.