Research Areas and Interests
Dr Myra Taylor
Post Doctoral Research Fellow
Contact Information Telephone: (61 8) 6304 5728, Email: email@example.com, Campus: Joondalup, Room: JO30.127
|Telephone:||(61 8) 6304 5728|
- 2011-current: Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Lifespan Resilience Research Group, School of Psychology and Social Science, Edith Cowan University
- 2008–2011: Postdoctoral Research Fellow,Centre for Child and Adolescent Related Disorders, Graduate School of Education, University of Western Australia
- 2002–2007: Associate Acting Deputy Director: Centre for Child and Adolescent Related Disorders and Research Associate ARC Discovery Project Grant Manager (AD/HD), University of Western Australia
- 1999–2002: Full-time Doctoral Candidate, University of Western Australia, Australia
- 1997–1998: Full time Master Candidate,Exeter University, England
- 1993–1996: Year 2 Teacher,Dominican Convent School, Johannesburg, South Africa
- 1990–1993: Year 4 Teacher: St Olaf’s School, Utah, USA
Awards and Recognition
National and International Research Positions
- 2007 University of Western Australia Post-Doctoral Re-Entry Research Fellowship.
Risk, reputation and graffiti: Developing a new model and intervention for reducing graffiti.
- 2002 Western Australian Institute for Education Research (WAIER) Cameron Prize.
Research Areas and Interests
- Youth Crime
- Implications of crime
- Child and adolescent learning, emotional and behavioural disorders
- Resilience across the lifespan
- Early childhood development
- Domestic violence
- MSocSc (Master of Social Science), Edith Cowan University, 2011 .
- PGradDip (Post Graduate Diploma), Edith Cowan University, 2007 .
- PhD (Doctoral Degree), The University of Western Australia, 2003 .
- M (Master Degree), United Kingdom, 1998 .
Recent Research Grants
- A multidisciplinary team approach to improving long term outcomes in sarcoma survivors, Hollywood Functional Rehabilitation Clinic, Johanna Sewell Sarcoma Research Grant, 2013 - 2014, $10,909.
Recent Publications (within the last five years)
- Taylor, M., Goldman, S., (2012), When empathy fails to eventuate in the counseling therapeutic session: Implications for the training and practice of students. University Teaching and Faculty Development Research Compendium, n/a, New York.
- Taylor, M., Edwards, M., Pooley, JA., (2013), Nudging them back to reality: Toward a growing public acceptance of the role dogs fulfill in ameliorating contemporary veterans' PTSD symptoms. Anthrozoos: a multidisciplinary journal of the interactions of people and animals, 26(4), 593-611, DOI: 10.2752/175303713X13795775535896.
- Maassen, K., Pooley, JA., Taylor, M., (2013), You get forced to live with randoms ... and that makes you stronger as a person?. Homeless Western Australian teenagers? perspectives on their experiences of residing in crisis accommodation. Austalian Community Psychologist, 25(2), 53-73, Melbourne.
- Taylor, M., (2012), As long as your're resilient you'll succeed: School disaffected adolescents' perspectives on their willingness to engage in high injury-risk graffiti-writing activities. The International Journal of School Disaffection, 9(2), 39-51.
- Stambulich, D., Pooley, JA., Gately, N., Taylor, M., (2012), Some of my children are worth more than others: Perceptions of non-residential fathers with second families as to the fairness of the Australian Child Support Agency's handling of first family child support financial arrangements. Marriage and Family Review, 48(8), 769-791, DOI: 10.1080/01494929.2012.714721.
- Taylor, M., Khan, U., (2012), A comparison of police processing reports for juvenile graffiti offenders: Societal implications. Police practice and research: an intenational journal, 2012(iFirst), 1-15, DOI: 10.1080/15614263.2012.722781.
- O'Brien, K., Cohen, L., Pooley, JA., Taylor, M., (2012), Lifting the domestic cloak of silence: Resilient Australian women's reflected memories of their childhood experiences of witnessing domestic violence. Journal of Family Violence, 28(1), 95-108, DOI: 10.1007/s10896-012-9484-7.
- Pooley, JA., Cohen, L., O'Connor, M., O'Conner, M., Taylor, M., (2012), Posttraumatic stress and posttraumatic growth and their relationship to coping and self-efficacy in Northwest Australian Cyclone communities. Psychological Trauma , 2012(30 April), 1-8, DOI: 10.1037a0028046.
- Soto, R., Pooley, JA., Cohen, L., Taylor, M., (2012), Students with ASD in mainstream primary education settings: Teachers' experiences in Western Australian classrooms. Austalasian Journal of Special Education, 36(2), 97-111, DOI: 10.1017/jse.2012.10.
- Taylor, M., Khan, U., (2012), Graffiti offenders' patterns of desistance and persistence in crime: New insights into reducing recidivist offending. The Police Journal, 85, , 5-28, DOI: 10.1350/pojo.2012.85.1.571.
- Taylor, M., (2012), As long as you're resilient you'll succeed: School disaffected adolescents' perspectives on their willingness to engage in high injury-risk graffiti-writing activities. International Journal on School Disaffection, 9(2), 37-51, London, UK.
- Taylor, M., Khan, U., (2011), Skate-park builds, teenaphobia and the adolescent need for hang-out spaces: The social utility and functionality of urban skate parks. Journal of Urban Design, 16(4), 489-510, DOI: 10.1080/13574809.2011.586142.
- Houghton, S., Durkin, K., Ang, R., Taylor, M., Brandtman, M., (2011), Measuring temporal self-regulation in children with and without Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. European Journal of Psychological Assessment, 27(2), 88-94 .
- Taylor, M., Goldman, S., (2011), When empathy mails to eventuate in the counselling therapeutic session: Implications for the training and practice of students. International Journal of University Teaching and Faculty Development, 1(3), 171-182.
- Taylor, M., Marais, I., Cottman, R., (2011), Patterns of graffiti offending towards recognition that graffiti offending is more than kids messing around. Policing and Society, n/a(n/a), 1-17, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10439463.2011.605128.
- Taylor, M., Marais, I., (2011), Not in my back schoolyard: School and skate-park builds in Western Australia. Australian Planner, 48(2), 84-95, DOI: 10.1080/07293682.2011.561825.
- Taylor, M., (2011), Hanging with the Hoodies: Towards an understanding of the territorial tagging practices of prolific graffiti writers seeking an adolescent non-conforming social identity. International Journal of Child & Adolescent Health, 4(3), 223-232.