Dr David Ryder
Senior Lecturer Clinical Psychology
|Telephone:||(61 8) 6304 5452|
- PSY4153/PSY5150 - Health and Clinical Psychology
- PSY5202 - Clinical Psychology 3
- PSY6243 - Health Psychology
- Coordination of Clinical Psychology Programs
David is a qualified Clinical Psychologist and practised in Scotland until migrating to Western Australia in 1986. He was head of Clinical Psychology with the WA Alcohol and Drug Authority and held other management positions until joining Edith Cowan University in 1993. He taught in the addiction studies program at ECU until 2008, moving to his current role as Senior Lecturer in the postgraduate Clinical Psychology program in 2009. His research interests are in alcohol and other drug use; the treatment of comorbid substance use and mental health issues; drug policy analysis and motivational enhancement approaches to clinical practice.
- Australian Association for Cognitive and Behaviour Therapy
- Australian Professional Society on Alcohol and Other Drugs
- Australian Psychological Society
- International Society for the Study of Drug Policy
- Society for the Study of Addiction
Research Areas and Interests
- Alcohol and other drug use
- Comorbid substance use and mental health disorders
- Drug policy analysis
- Community attitudes to alcohol and other drug policy
- Master of Applied Science, Scotland .
- Bachelor of Arts Honours, England .
- PhD, Edith Cowan University .
- PhD (Doctoral Degree), The University of Western Australia, 2004 .
- Grad.Dip.in Public Sector Mgmt, Curtin University of Technology, 1994 .
Recent Research Grants
- Staff Climate Survey 2010, Department of Corrective Services WA, Grant(**), 2010, $5,741.
- Domestic Violence, Substance Use and Mental Health, PhD, Department for Child Protection, Grant, 2008, $12,331.
- Fit for Life Workplace Health Promotion, WA Police Service, Grant, 2007, $36,228.
- Domestic Violence, Substance Use and Mental Health, PhD, Department for Child Protection, Grant, 2006, $30,313.
Recent Publications (within the last five years)
- Gausia, K., Ryder, D., Ali, M., Fisher, C., Moran, A., Koblinsky, M., (2012), Obstetric complications and psychological well-being: Experiences of Bangladeshi women during pregnancy and childbirth. Journal of Health, Population and Nutrition, 30(2), 172-180.
- Bright, S., McKillop, D., Ryder, D., (2008), Cigarette Smoking Among Young Adults: Integrating Adolescent Cognitive Egocentrism With the Trans-theoretical Model. Australian Journal of Psychology, 60(1), 18-25, Melbourne, DOI: 10.1080/00049530701458043.
- Ryder, D., (2008), Political and Legal Institutions and their Influence on Drug Policy: An Australian Perspective. Drug and Alcohol Review, 27(4), 374-379, Sydney, NSW.
Research Student Supervision
- Doctor of Philosophy, Utilization Of Health And Medical Service: Factors Influencing Health Care Seeking Behaviour And Unmet Health Needs In Rural Areas Of Kenya.
- Doctor of Philosophy, Interpersonal Psychotherapy For Depressed Retirees: Developing And Testing A Clinical Treatment Manual.
- Master of Health Science, The Negotiation Practices And The Experiences Of Everyday Life With Obsessive Compulsive Disorder..
- Doctor of Psychology, An Analysis Of Treatment Retention And Attrition In An Australian Therapeutic Community For Substance Abuse Treatment .