Research Areas and Interests
Dr Justine Dandy
Contact Information Telephone: (61 8) 6304 5105, Email: email@example.com, Campus: Joondalup, Room: JO30.207
|Telephone:||(61 8) 6304 5105|
|Facsimile:||(61 8) 6304 5834|
- PSY3217 - Cultural Issues in Psychology
- PSY1204 - Social Determinants of Behaviour
- PSY2231 - Developmental Psychology
Justine Dandy has worked in teaching and research positions at Flinders University (1996-2000) and the University of Western Australia (2000-2003). She moved to Perth in 2000 and commenced at ECU in October 2003.
- The International Association of Cross-Cultural Psychologists (IACCP)
- The International Academy for Intercultural Research
- Society for Australasian Social Psychologists (SASP)
- The Australian Migration Research Network (WA branch)
Research Areas and Interests
- Cross-cultural, cultural and social psychology
- Attitudes to immigration, diversity and multiculturalism
- Acculturation attitudes and strategies
- Ethnic, cultural and national identity
- Doctor of Philosophy, The University of Adelaide, 2000 .
- Bachelor of Arts, The University of Adelaide, 1993 .
Recent Research Grants
- Research into the current and emerging drivers for social cohesion, social division and conflict in multicultural Australia, Department of Immigration and Citizenship, Grant, 2011 - 2012, $119,377.
- Formative study of discrimination and mental health of CALD Australian children, Healthway (WA Health Promotion Foundation), Healthway - Grant, 2005 - 2007, $21,487.
- Reliability and validity of the Multigroup Ethnic Identity Measure with Australian ethno-cultural minorities, Edith Cowan University, ECU Early Career Researcher - Grant, 2004 - 2005, $12,000.
Recent Publications (within the last five years)
- Dandy, J., (2010), Managing cultural diversity: Competing discourses in Australian multiculturalism. Cultural diversity: Issues, Challenges and Perspectives, 113-130, Hauppauge, NY.
- Dandy, J., Pe-Pua, R., (2013), Beyond mutual acculturation. Intergroup relations among immigrants, Anglo-Australians and Indigenous Australians. Zeitschrift fuer Psychologie (Journal of Psychology), 221(4), 232-241.
- Runions, K., Priest, N., Dandy, J., (2011), Discrimination and Psychological Adjustment Amongst Australian Children from Middle-Eastern and Asian backgrounds. Australian Community Psychologist, 23(1), 23-33.
- Dandy, J., Pe-Pua, R., (2010), Attitudes to multiculturalism, immigration and cultural diversity: Comparison of dominant and non-dominant groups in three Australian states. International Journal of Intercultural Relations, 34(1), 34-46, United Kingdom, DOI: 10.1016/j.ijintrel.2009.10.003.
- Sala, E., Dandy, J., Rapley, M., (2010), Real Italians and Wogs: The discursive construction of Italian identity among first generation Italian immigrants in Western Australia. Journal of Community and Applied Social Psychology, 20(2), 110-124, DOI: 10.1002/casp.1023.
- Fawcett, L., Garton, A., Dandy, J., (2009), Role of motivation, self-efficacy and parent support in adolescent structured leisure activity participation. Australian Journal of Psychology, 61(3), 175-182, Melbourne, DOI: 10.1080/000495302326792.
- Dandy, J., (2009), Refugee and migrant integration: Examining the discourse of the dominant. Tamara Journal for Critical Organization Inquiry, 8(8.2), 225-233, United States.
Research Student Supervision
- Doctor of Philosophy, Effects Of Parenting Styles, Academic Self-efficacy, And Achievement Motivation On The Academic Achievement Of University Astudents In Ethiopia.
- Doctor of Philosophy, The Construction Of Identity Through The Dimensions Of Race, Ethnicity And Gender: The Experience Of 'coloured' South African Women In Western Australia..
- Doctor of Philosophy, School's Out: Adolescent 'leisure' Activites, Influences And Consequences..