Research Areas and Interests
Dr Peter Hancock
Contact Information Telephone: (61 8) 6304 5804, Email: email@example.com, Campus: Joondalup, Room: JO4.105
|Telephone:||(61 8) 6304 5804|
- CSV3111 - Community Development
- CSV3114 - Social Research and Program Evaluation
- 1980-1983 NSW Fire Brigade (Fire-fighter)
- 1984-1993 Truck Driver/Labourer
- 1998-2000 Lecturer Deakin University – International Development Studies
- 2000-Present Senior Lecturer Edith Cowan University – Social Sciences
Awards and Recognition
- 1995 Graduated with ‘Distinction’ BA Social Science
- 1996 Graduated with First Class Honors
Research Areas and Interests
- Community development
- Gender and development
- Program evaluation
- International development
- Sociology and social policy
- Gender and empowerment in Export Processing Zones in developing nations
- Social program evaluation
- Doctor of Philosophy, Edith Cowan University .
- Bachelor of Arts Honours, Curtin University of Technology .
Recent Research Grants
- The Other Side of Formal Employment: Women who have returned to their villages after Export Processing Zone Employment in Sri Lanka., Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, AusAID - Australian Development Research Awards, 2013 - 2015, $540,393.
- Gender, Status and Empowerment: A study among women who work in Sri Lanka's Export Processing Zones (EPZs), AusAID, Grant, 2007 - 2011, $94,550.
- Evaluation of the City of Stirling Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Youth, Sport and Leisure Project, Department of Sport and Recreation WA, Grant, 2007 - 2009, $46,933.
- Evaluation of the Integrated Services Centre (ISC) Pilot Project, Office of Multicultural Interests WA, Grant, 2007 - 2009, $32,124.
- Evaluation of the same sex domestic abuse group training program, Same Sex Domestic Abuse Group Incorporated, Grant, 2006 - 2008, $4,454.
- Research of Participation in Organised Sport and Recreation by People from Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CaLD) Backgrounds, Department of Sport and Recreation WA, Grant, 2008, $29,270.
- Young People's Participation in Communities (Indicators and Performance Measures) - Scoping Study, National Youth Affairs Research Scheme, Grant, 2006 - 2007, $20,000.
- Leadership, Cohesion and Action, Peel South West Division of General Practice, Grant, 2003 - 2006, $112,961.
- Evaluation of the Australian Red Cross Commonwealth Carer Respite Centres Older Carers Program, Australian Red Cross WA, Grant, 2005, $961.
- Evaluation of the Care Respite Centres Managed by the Australian Red Cross., Australian Red Cross WA, Grant, 2003, $9,090.
Recent Publications (within the last five years)
- Adusei Asante, K., Hancock, P., (2013), When Empowerment disempowers: A case study of Ghana's community based rural development projects. Ghana Journal of Development Studies, 9(2), 43-62, Ghana, DOI: 10.4314/gjds.v9i2.3.
- Hancock, P., Middleton, S., Moore, J., (2012), Gender, globalisation and empowerment, a study of women who work in Sri Lanka's Export Processing Zones. Work Organisation, Labour and Globalisation, 6(1), 131-146, London.
- Hancock, P., Edirisinghe, I., (2012), Inclusion and Empowerment of Export Processing Zone Women in Sri Lanka: Stakeholders Perceptions and Perspectives. Labour and management in development, 13(2012), 1-20, Canberra.
- Hancock, P., Moore, J., Middleton, S., (2011), A Quantitative Study of Women in Sri Lanka?s Export Processing Zones: Capital accumulation and Social Investment. Labour and management in development, 12(1), 17p..
- Hancock, P., (2009), Gender status and empowerment: A study among women who work in a Sri Lankan Export Processing Zone (EPZ). Journal of Developing Societies, 25(4), 393-420, United Kingdom, DOI: 10.1177/0169796X0902500401.
- Hancock, P., Cooper, T., Bahn, S., (2009), Co Location Of Services for refugees: An Evaluation Of Pilot Program In Western Australia. Asian and Pacific Migration Journal, 18(4), 519-538, Philippines.
- Hancock, P., Middleton, S., Moore, J., (2009), Export Processing Zones (EPZs), globalisation, feminised labour markets and working conditions: A study of Sri Lankan EPZ workers. Labour and management in development, 10(2009), 22p., Sydney, Australia.
- Georgiou, J., Hancock, P., (2009), Assessing and Improving Quality of Life Indicators and Assessments: a case study of an adult day care centre. Asia Pacific Journal of Health Management, 4(2), 12-22, Sydney NSW.
- Hancock, P., Cooper, T., Bahn, S., (2009), Evaluation of a Youth CaLD (Cultural and Linguistically Diverse) Sports Program in Western Australia: Resettling Refugees Using Sport as a Conduit to Integration. Tamara Journal for Critical Organization Inquiry, 8(8.2), 159-172, United States.
- Guilfoyle, A., Hancock, P., (2009), Discourses and Refugees' Social Inclusion: Introduction to Method and Issues. Tamara Journal for Critical Organization Inquiry, 8(8.2), 123-134, United States.
- Hancock, P., Cooper, T., Bahn, S., (2009), Evaluation of the Integrated Services Pilot Program from Western Australia. Evaluation and Program Planning, 32(3), 238-246, Jonathan A Morell, DOI: 10.1016/j.evalprogplan.2008.12.001.
- Georgiou, J., Hancock, P., (2009), Quality of Life Indicators: The objective-subjective inter-relationship that exists within one's place of residence in old age. Asian Social Science, 5(9), 3-20, Canada.
- Moore, J., Hancock, P., Middleton, S., (2010), Contributions to Sri Lanka?s development trajectory: economic contributions, empowerment and social inclusion among women workers in export processing zones. TASA 2010 Conference Proceedings: Social Causes, Private Lives, 11p, Sydney, Australia.
- Hancock, P., Middleton, S., Moore, J., Edirisinghe, I., (2011), Gender, Status and Empowerment: A study among women who work in Sri Lanka?s Export Processing Zones (EPZs) - Final report., Sri Lanka.
- Hancock, P., Parker, I., Middleton, S., Moore, J., Edirisinghe, I., (2011), Re-thinking Gender, Empowerment and Equity - Policy Brief., Perth, Western Australia.
Research Student Supervision
- Doctor of Philosophy, Towards Aid Effectiveness: Contested Theories And Concepts: A Case Study Of Ghana's Community-based Rural Development Project.
- Doctor of Philosophy, Employability Of Philippine College And University Graduates In The United States.
- Master of Social Science, The Political Origins And Development Of Australia's People Smuggling Legislation: Evil Smugglers Or Extreme Rhetoric.
- Doctor of Philosophy, Literacy For Livelihoods: A Case Study Of The Impact Of Formal And Informal Literacy Programs In The Nangi Village, Rural Nepal.
- Doctor of Philosophy, Speaking In Thai, Dreaming In Isan: Thai Television And Emerging Identities Of Lao Isan Youth Living In Northeast Thailand.