This glossary defines selected words, phrases and acronyms used in Pilot: your information navigator. Online dictionaries, thesauri, encyclopaedias, and directories may be found in the ECU Library Catalogue, for example:
English language dictionaries:
Macquarie Dictionary, Oxford English Dictionary
Subject specific encyclopaedias:
Encyclopedia of human nutrition
Encyclopedia of management
Encyclopedia of software engineering
International encyclopedia of the social and behavioral sciences
Find terms beginning with:
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P R S T U V W Y All
- Call number
- A number used in libraries to classify a book and indicate its location on the shelves.
- A list or itemized display, as of titles, course offerings, or articles for exhibition or sale, usually including descriptive information or illustrations.
- A person who reviews the content of an item and assigns relevant subject terms to the record for that item. See indexer.
- Compact Disc Read Only Memory. CD-ROMs are designed to store large amounts of digital data.
- To provide information (a citation) in the text that links a reader to a reference to the original author of a quote or paraphrased concept.
- Cited author
- An author whose work has been used (cited) by other authors.
- Classification code
- A code given to the subject of an item to locate it within similar items, whether in a physical location on library shelves or in a database.
- An idea, thought, notion, or general theme. A phrase or series of terms describing a problem.
- A meeting for consultation or discussion.
- A collection of information, usually including a username and the current date and time, stored on the local computer of a person using the World Wide Web. Cookies are used chiefly by web sites to identify users who have previously registered or visited the site.