This glossary defines selected words, phrases and acronyms used in Pilot: your information navigator. Online dictionaries, thesauri, encyclopaedias, and directories may be found in the ECU Library's Catalogue, for example:
English language dictionaries:
Macquarie Dictionary, Oxford English Dictionary
Subject specific encyclopaedias:
Encyclopedia of human nutrition
Encyclopedia of management
Encyclopedia of software engineering
International encyclopedia of the social and behavioral sciences
Find terms beginning with:
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P R S T U V W Y All
- A restatement of a text or passage in another form or other words, often to clarify meaning.
- Either or both of the upright curved lines, ( ), used to mark off explanatory or qualifying remarks in writing or printing or other expression; considered or treated as a collective entity in a mathematical operation. Plural: parentheses.
- Portable Document Format. The extension of the file is .pdf. This format was developed by Adobe ® Systems for ease of document sharing on the Internet and for easy printing of documents. It retains the original layout of the document when converted to a PDF file.
- Peer reviewed
- An article that has been read and critiqued by the author's peers.
- Contains scholarly research articles, papers, or reports. See: Journal.
- Periodical collection
- Holds periodicals in various formats - paper, microfiche, video, all shelved by subject. This collection is not for loan, unless otherwise indicated, and has the collection prefix 'P'.
- Phrase searching
- Phrase searching refers to the use of inverted commas to force a search tool to find terms in a phrase only. For example: "acquired immune deficiency syndrome".
- The act of using another person's work without crediting that person through a citation and reference.
- Primary source
- These are original materials, which have not been filtered through interpretation, or often even evaluation by a second party.
- A copy of a printed work offered for distribution.
- A person or business engaged in publishing periodicals or books or music.