This glossary defines selected words, phrases and acronyms used in Pilot: your information navigator. Online dictionaries, thesauri, encyclopaedias, and directories may be found in the ECU Library Catalogue, for example:
English language dictionaries:
Macquarie Dictionary, Oxford English Dictionary
Subject specific encyclopaedias:
Encyclopedia of human nutrition
Encyclopedia of management
Encyclopedia of software engineering
International encyclopedia of the social and behavioral sciences
Find terms beginning with:
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P R S T U V W Y All
- Of, relating to, or characteristic of scholars or scholarship: scholarly pursuits; a scholarly edition with footnotes. Academic; learned.
- Search statement
- The keywords and connecting operators (ie Boolean operators) that are typed into a database to retrieve information.
- Search term
- The words used in a search for information.
- Search tools
- General term for resources that enable you to identify and obtain different types of publications. For example: Library catalogues, databases, Internet search engines or subject directories.
- Secondary source
- Information about original information which has usually been selected or modified for a particular purpose or audience.
- Something that resembles or suggests a backbone, as: the hinged back of a book.
- Recommendation or specifications on quality, safety, dimensions, codes of practice, methods of testing, symbols and terminology.
- Subject heading
- Keywords used in the description of a topic. A subject heading is a word or phrase which is assigned to an item to describe its subject content. ECU Library uses Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH).
- An agreement to receive or be given access to electronic texts or services, especially over the Internet.
- A word having the same or nearly the same meaning as another word or other words in a language.
- The pattern of formation of sentences or phrases in a language.
- Combine so as to form a more complex product.