Advanced Post-Anaesthesia Care Unit
The Advanced Post-Anaesthesia Care Unit (PACU) course offers full immersion simulation as the teaching medium, with a strong focus on the behavioural crisis resource management in the debriefing sessions. The resuscitation refresher covers basic life support and advanced life support skills appropriate to acute care nurses.
Nurses who are beginner practitioners or are anticipating working in this area of practice, working PACU or recovery room nurses, and registered nurses employed in operating theatres such as day surgery centres, endoscopy units, imaging departments, accident and emergency departments, cath labs and laser centres.
This short course aims to provide registered nurses with an opportunity to further their knowledge to obtain a practical insight into PACU practice (recovery).
The following topics will be covered:
- role and responsibilities of nurses practicing in the PACU;
- nursing assessment and management in the PACU (recovery);
- anaesthetic/PACU emergencies;
- pain management strategies;
- anaesthetic pharmacology;
- intubation and airways management;
- workshops in airways management and laryngeal mask; and
- legal responsibilities of registered nurses in PACU practice.
- intensive hands-on training;
- clinical skills and drills training;
- pause and discuss scenarios;
- immersive simulations; and
- problem-based learning.
- part-task trainers; and
- low, medium and high fidelity manikin simulators.
Course format and duration
The course is presented over two days in the following format:
- activities focus on realistic simulations of common medical emergencies;
- all participants have an opportunity to participate in the management of a simulated emergency;
- strict confidentiality is maintained.
$630 (includes GST)
|Available course dates|
|Monday, 28 April to Tuesday, 29 April 2014|