Effective Management of Anaesthetic Crisis (EMAC)
The Effective Management of Anaesthetic Crisis (EMAC) course is an Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists (ANZCA) accredited course and is recognised as an alternative to EMST for vocational trainees.
The course focuses on how a crisis is recognised and subsequently managed. Recent literature reviews recognise that it is the human factors or behavioural aspects of team leadership and team interaction within healthcare where the errors are made. EMAC focuses on the role of the anaesthetist as the leader of this team during an anaesthetic crisis and the interaction with the staff around the anaesthetist to use their skills and resources effectively.
Anaesthetists (specialist, GP and non-specialist); and anaesthetic registrars
- at least one year experience in anaesthesia.
- completion of primary exam (if ANZCA trainee).
- understand medical error and adverse events;
- undertake risk assessment, exercise judgment and formulate plans, which optimise patient safety;
- respond rapidly in an emergency and apply systematic principles of emergency management;
- develop competency in procedures including: direct and indirect intubation techniques, emergency surgical airway, cardiopulmonary resuscitation and cardioversion; and
- work effectively within a team and as a team leader.
- procedural skills training;
- integrated procedural skills training (clinical);
- problem-based learning;
- pause and discuss scenarios; and
- immersive scenarios and reflective debriefing.
- task trainers;
- video replay and discussion; and
- high and medium fidelity manikin simulators.
Course format and duration
The course is presented as five modules over two and a half days:
- human factors;
- airway emergencies;
- cardiovascular emergencies;
- anaesthesia emergencies; and
Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists
Department of Health employees attending the course will receive a reduced rate of 50% of the course fee.
Please enrol using your Department of Health email and state your employee number and hospital where employed.
- $2750.00 (includes GST) - Full Price for non-WA Department of Health (DoH) employees
- $1375.00 (includes GST) - WA Department of Health (DoH) employees