Top of page
Global Site Navigation


Local Section Navigation
You are here: Main Content

Student complaints

Strategic and Governance Services Centre

ECU is committed to providing a challenging educational environment in which all members of its culturally and geographically diverse community can realise their potential. The needs of the students are our highest priority, and the University will seek continuously to improve the quality of its courses and services to students.

ECU Student Charter

We are committed to ensuring matters of dispute between students and the University are resolved fairly and promptly. This commitment is consistent with our long-term goal to be recognised for providing world-class education and a fulfilling student experience, as articulated in the ECU Strategic Plan 2017 - 2021.

The Strategic and Governance Services Centre will provide information, for both students and staff, on what students can do if they have a concern or complaint about our services or administrative practices, including the steps that can be taken to resolve the concern or complaint.

The Student Complaints Policy does not supersede appeal processes established under statutes, rules, or by-laws.

Students wishing to lodge a result appeal, academic progression status review, or an appeal to the Student Appeals Committee should refer to the 'How to appeal' web page for steps and deadlines. Visit the student intranet for more information.

Informal Complaint

In the first instance, a student with a complaint should seek to resolve the complaint by talking directly with the staff member who provided the product or services. If it is inappropriate or not possible to contact the person most directly involved, the student may contact the relevant Senior Officer in the area concerned, for example, the Associate Dean, Unit Coordinator or lecturer of the School, or Manager or Director in the Service Centres. The student can expect that any complaint will be treated promptly and courteously.

Other areas within the University which may be of assistance are the ECU Guild or telephone ECU Enquiry Line:  134 328 or email:  The Student Equity, Diversity and Disability Service provides a free, confidential service for students with a disability and/or medical condition, either permanent or temporary, which may affect various aspects of life at ECU. To register with the service you will need to make an appointment with the Student Equity, Diversity and Disability Officer for an assessment of your needs: Student Equity, Diversity and Disability Service.

Lodging a formal complaint

Should an informal resolution not be achievable, you may need to lodge a formal complaint. A formal complaint must be in writing, preferably using the Complaint Form, with as much information as possible which may be of assistance when investigating the complaint. It may not be possible to investigate an anonymous complaint, for example, without details identifying the circumstances relating to the complaint.

Please send the completed complaint form by email to

Alternatively, a completed complaint form can be sent by post to:

Senior Complaints, Compliance and Integrity Advisor
Strategic and Governance Services Centre
Edith Cowan University
270 Joondalup Drive
Joondalup WA 6027

External Complaints Procedure

Students are expected to make use of our internal procedures before approaching external bodies with a complaint. Depending on the subject matter of the complaint, students may need to show that an internal, formal complaint process has been completed before an external agency will hear their complaint. Common external avenues of redress for complainants include the State Ombudsman and the Equal Opportunity Commission.

Student complaint contact

Senior Complaints, Compliance and Integrity Advisor
Ms Lyn Graham
Strategic and Governance Services Centre
Telephone: (61 8) 6304 2199

Skip to top of page