Provides students with a broad base of mathematics skills across the core areas of applied mathematics, including calculus, statistics, mathematical modelling and linear algebra.
The applied flavour of the major provides the necessary background for students wishing to pursue higher studies in areas of applied mathematics and statistics. Students whose primary focus is in the biological sciences, physical sciences, business or finance, will also benefit from the development/enhancement of core skills in data analysis and modelling, making mathematics a strong choice as a second and supporting major.
Special entry requirements
All applicants are required to complete as a minimum MAT1137 Introductory Applied Mathematics or ATAR Mathematics Methods or ATAR Mathematics Specialist , with equivalents considered.
Availability & Campus
For more detailed unit information for this Major take a look at our Handbook. To organise your life for next semester visit the Semester timetable.Student handbook
- Apply broad discipline knowledge to a range of theoretical and practical mathematical situations.
- Communicate mathematical knowledge and ideas clearly, coherently and with independence.
- Demonstrate a universal mathematical outlook with respect to diversity, including indigenous cultural competence.
- Demonstrate autonomy, accountability and judgement for own learning and scholarship.
- Think creatively to anticipate challenges and generate mathematical solutions.
- Think critically to analyse, interpret and solve complex mathematical problems.
- Use mathematical software packages to investigate and solve problems in mathematical and statistical contexts.
- Work collaboratively and demonstrate initiative to implement social, sustainable, and ethical values through appropriate mathematical methods.