Applied Chemistry Major
Provides a thorough grounding in analytical chemistry.
With a strong emphasis on developing analytical skills and instrumentation, students study diverse methods used to investigate the chemical nature of substances in a range of applications - from pure laboratory analysis to environmental investigations and monitoring and medical settings.
Availability & Campus
|Unit Code||Unit Title||Credit Points|
|SCC1201||Chemistry: Structure and Reactions||15|
|SCC2301||Forensic and Analytical Chemistry||15|
|PLUS 2 units from the following list:|
|SCI3309 ^||Biological and Chemical Hazards||15|
|SCI3206 ^||Environmental Investigation and Monitoring||15|
|SCI2112 ^||Molecular Biology and Biochemistry||15|
|SCH2232 ^||Medical Biochemistry||15|
|SCH1133 ^||Human Genetics||15|
|SCH2226 ^||Human Molecular Genetics||15|
|SCH2142 ^||Forensic Genetics||15|
Note: Students without an ATAR or equivalent background in Chemistry are advised to consult with the Unit Set Coordinator as to the selection of the most appropriate units to lead into this major.
^ Core Option
For more detailed unit information for this Major take a look at our Handbook. To organise your life for next semester visit the Semester timetable.Student handbook
- Apply broad discipline knowledge to a range of theoretical and practical chemistry situations.
- Communicate chemical knowledge and values in professional and public contexts.
- Demonstrate autonomy, accountability and judgement for own learning and professional practice
- Demonstrate respect for cultural diversity and alternate views, including Indigenous cultural competence.
- Think creatively to anticipate challenges and generate solutions of chemical problems.
- Think critically to analyse, experiment and interpret results to solve complex chemistry problems.
- Use experimentation, literacies and/or digital technologies to access, evaluate and synthesise relevant information from multiple sources.
- Work collaboratively and demonstrate initiative to implement social, sustainable, and ethical values.
Possible future job titles
Analytical Chemist, Forensic Chemist, Government Scientist, Industrial Chemist, Instrumentation Consultant, Medical Chemist