Health and Wellness hits the south west
Friday, 24 August 2012
Visitors to the SW Health and Wellness Expo
More than 250 people from the south west region visited ECU’s South West Campus for the annual Health and Wellness Expo.
Guests learned about nutrition, alternative therapies and ECU sport and fitness. The event also provided a chance to launch this year’s SW calendar of activities for staff in the ‘Live Life Longer’ health and wellness program.
ECU Wellness Coordinator Fiona Peters opened the event and introduced the two guest speakers: Vice-Chancellor Professor Kerry Cox, who emphasised ECU's commitment to staff health and wellness and Melanoma WA founder Clint Heal, who gave a presentation about the importance about being proactive with your health.
Mr Heal inspired the audience with his life experiences, having been diagnosed with metastatic melanoma at the age of just 22. He has since had 34 secondary tumours removed from all over his body.
The event was a great success, with a number of door prizes awarded to lucky guests. The winners were:
- Mike Groom - $100 Red Balloon gift card, thanks to Smart Salary;
- Caz Gibney – a prize pack with two bottles of wine courtesy of ME Bank;
- Cheryl Jeffery – a Kobo eReader from Medibank;
- Kodie Gibb - $100 worth of books from the ECU Bookshop;
- Bob Dodds – a juicer courtesy of HBF;
- Gail Freeman – a digital camera thanks to BUPA;
- Kate Gryguc – a bank account with $300 balance from Commonwealth Bank;
- Wendy Giles – voucher for an organic fruit and veg box from ECU Environment team;
- Nicole Teague – 1 month ECU Sports membership;
- Madison Dawson - $100 Myer Voucher from Unisuper;
- Lisa Hall – a reiki Voucher donated by Tender Shoots; and
- Lance Carlisle – a reflexology gift voucher.
The Live Life Longer staff wellness program prize draw winner was:
- Cheryl Rowlands – a weight watchers program cookbook
For more information visit the Live Life Longer webpage.