Celebrating research success
Friday, 02 December 2011
The top 20 research performers, with Vice-Chancellor Professor Kerry Cox and Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research and Advancement) Professor John Finlay-Jones.
A researcher who developed an iPad app to replace traditional paper-based marking of student work has been named the ECU Innovator of the Year for 2011.
School of Education Post Doctoral Research Fellow Dr Alistair Campbell was awarded $20,000 for his entry TouchTheFuture, which brings the assessment of student work into the 21st Century with computer assisted reporting.
He received the award at the Celebration of Research Success event at ECU, which each year recognises the University's best researchers.
Dr Campbell’s unique app combines the best features of a word processor, spreadsheet and database enabling the user to assess a student’s work. With a simple tap of the screen generic comments can be made. More expansive comments are made via the virtual keyboard.
The app applies an instructional rubric to the screen and shades-in the level of each criteria achieved by the student. At the same time it calculates a mark (the mid-point of the corresponding grade) and adds this to the total mark.
The $20,000 will aid Dr Campbell in the commercialisation of the app.
ECU Vice-Chancellor Professor Kerry Cox and Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research and Advancement) Professor John Finlay-Jones paid tribute to ECU’s researchers and awarded certificates in a number of categories, including:
Recipients of grants:
- ECU Industry Collaboration Grants
- ECU Early Career Grants
- Australian Research Council Linkage Grant
- Australian Competitive Grants
The Top 20 Research performers:
- Professor Neil Thomson
- Professor Ralph Martins
- Ms Vicki Graham
- Professor Donna Cross
- Professor Kamal Alameh
- Associate Professor Ray Froend
- Prof Lelia Green
- Prof Caroline Taylor
- Prof Rob Newton
- Associate Professor Stacey Waters
- Dr Clint McCullough
- Associate Professor Mark Lund
- Mr Hugh Dunn
- Professor Pierre Horwitz
- Professor Anne Wilkinson
- Associate Professor Trudi Cooper
- Professor Paul Lavery
- Dr Leesa Costello
- Associate Professor Daniel Galvão
- Associate Professor Deslea Konza
Top ECU Researcher per School, Centre and Institute:
- Accounting, Finance and Economics – Professor Malcolm Smith
- Marketing, Tourism and Leisure – Dr Abel Alonso
- Law and Justice – Dr Julian Dooley
- Management – Professor Craig Standing
- Psychology and Social Science – Professor Caroline Taylor
- Computer and Security Science – Professor Narayanan Srinivasan
- Engineering – Associate Professor Steven Hinckley
- Exercise and Health Science – Professor Ralph Martins
- ECU Health & Wellness Institute – Ms Vicki Graham
- Natural Sciences – Associate Professor Ray Froend
- Nursing and Midwifery – Professor Anne Wilkinson
- Electron Science Research Institute – Professor Kamal Alameh
- Kurongkurl Katitjin – Professor Neil Thomson
- Education – Associate Professor Deslea Konza
- Communications and Arts – Professor Lelia Green
- Regional Professional Studies – Dr Christopher Chalon
- WA Academy of Performing Arts – Dr Cat Hope