The Forrest Research Foundation Scholarship is provided to encourage and assist outstanding international and domestic students to undertake high quality research and enrol in a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree at a Western Australian university. Forrest Research Foundation Scholars will be persons of exceptional ability and resourcefulness, having the highest calibre of academic achievement and with potential to make a positive difference to the world. They will help build world-class innovation capacity in Western Australia. The scholarship is awarded in conjunction with the ECU Higher Degree by Research Scholarship which provides a living allowance valued at $28,000.00 per annum. The Forrest Research Foundation Scholarship offers an additional accommodation allowance of $20,110 (indexed annually) and a research and relocation allowance of $13,000 (one off payment).
At a glance
- This scholarship is open to individuals who are prospective and current ECU students.
- Questions about this scholarship can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To be eligible for this scholarship you must:
- be able to demonstrate that they have, or will receive, an offer of admission for a PhD at ECU and have a bachelor’s degree with First Class Honours or equivalent.
- Scholars will be selected from international and Australian applicants who demonstrate an outstanding academic ability to undertake research work with the potential to change the world we live in. Applications will be assessed on the basis of each applicant's: academic achievements (with a bachelor's degree of First Class Honours standard or equivalent) exceptional ability, resourcefulness and originality, potential to make a positive difference to the world, demonstration of how the award would help build world-class innovation and research capacity in Western Australia. The selection of successful applicants is undertaken by the Selection Committee, which comprises eminent people from the research and broader communities.
Terms and conditions
Receipt of the scholarship is contingent on the following ongoing terms and conditions:
- Applicants must be willing to reside with other Forrest Scholars: and
- Applicants must apply for enrolment in a PhD at ECU but not have already enrolled or previously undertaken research towards a PhD or other research doctorate.
How to apply
- Application is made via the ECU Online Scholarship Application Portal. Access to the portal is available between application opening and closing dates via this web page.
- In order to be considered for a Forrest Research Foundation Scholarship, you must apply for admission into a Higher Degree by Research course at Edith Cowan University and apply for the ECU Higher Degree by Research Scholarship via the ECU Scholarship Application Portal. Forrest Research Foundation Scholarship Applications are than able to be submitted online through the Forrest Foundation. For more information visit the Forrest Research Foundation website.
Forms and downloads
About the scholarship
The Forrest Research Foundation was established in 2014 following the donation of $65 million over 10 years by Andrew and Nicola Forrest through the Minderoo Foundation. The donation is used to drive world-class research and innovation in Western Australia by awarding Forrest Scholarships to outstanding intellects and upcoming research leaders conducting a PhD in Western Australia.
‘Education enhances innovation, and both provide the keys to the long term combating of poverty. In so doing, we won't just help the impoverished, but raise the universal standard of living.’
-Andrew and Nicola Forrest
The donation is also being used to build Forrest Hall, an iconic, state-of-the-art accommodation facility on the banks of the Swan River in Crawley. It will also be used to fund Forrest Fellows in the future.
For more information