Robert Powell is a Professor of Finance in the School of Business and Law.
Value at Risk
Through his research Robert has developed value at risk spreadsheets, available for download on our Anybody can do Value at Risk webpage.
- Financial Institutions Management
- Credit and Lending Decisions
Prior to commencing teaching with ECU in 2006, Robert gained over 20 years experience in Financial Institutions, including Senior Management levels. Outside of university, Robert enjoys running and spending time with his family.
Awards and recognition
- 2019 - Vice Chancellor’s Staff Excellence Award: Citation for Sustained Commitment to Enhancing Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
- 2017 - Highest Impact Publication Award. School of Business & Law
- 2016 - Mentorship in Research Award. School of Business & Law
- 2015 - Faculty of Business and Law. Dean's award for excellence in research
- 2015 - Australian award for university teaching: Citation for outstanding contributions to student learning
- 2014 - Deputy Vice-Chancellor’s Certificate of Excellence for Research
- 2012 - Vice-Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching
- 2012 - Deputy Vice-Chancellor's Award for Achievements in Publishing Research Outputs
- 2012 - Faculty of Business and Law, Dean's Honour Roll for Top Researchers
- 2011 - Faculty of Business and Law, Dean's Award for Postgraduate Teaching Excellence
- 2011 - Award for Outstanding Lecturing, School of Accounting, Finance and Economics
- 2011 - Award for Outstanding Research, School of Accounting, Finance and Economics
- 2010 - Award for Outstanding Engagement, School of Accounting, Finance and Economics
- 2010 - Deputy Vice-Chancellor Award for Receipt of Grant Funding
- 2010 - Faculty of Business & Law Research Award
- 2009 - Award for Outstanding Tutoring, School of Accounting, Finance and Economics
- Editorial Board of the Small Business Research Journal, Board Member
- Financial Services in Australia (FINSIA), Fellow Member
- Financial Research Network (FIRN), Member
Research areas and interests
- Credit Risk
- Market Risk
- Value at Risk
- Conditional Value at Risk
- The Global Financial Crisis