Kin Eng is a Senior Lecturer in Primary Education at the School of Education..
- MAE4280 - Mathematics Extension and Challenge
- PPA2360 - ICT Skill and Capability (Embedded Module)
- MAE2250 - Teaching and Learning in Primary Mathematics 1
- MAE6280 - Mathematics Extension and Challenge
- ICT6050 - Technologies.
Dr. Kin Eng Chin is a Senior Lecturer in Primary Education. He graduated with a PhD in Mathematics Education from the University of Warwick (UK) under the direction of Emeritus Professor David Tall. His PhD thesis was examined by Dr Tim Rowland, an Emeritus Reader in Mathematics Education of Cambridge University (UK). He developed a new framework for making sense of mathematics based on his PhD study. He has extensive experience in teaching mathematics education courses, university mathematics courses and secondary mathematics. Prior to joining Edith Cowan University, he was a Lecturer in Mathematics Education at Flinders University. In 2017, he was a visiting scholar cum research team member for an ARC project at the Melbourne Graduate School of Education, University of Melbourne. The ARC project was to explore the similiarities and contrasts between conventions and use of symbols in secondary mathematics and university mathematics. Kin Eng's primary research interests include mathematical thinking for all levels of mathematics and Dyscalculia.
- Mathematics Education Group of Australasia (MERGA) - 2017
- International Group for The Psychology of Mathematics Education (PME) - 2012, 2014
- Malaysian Mathematical Sciences Society - 2016.
Awards and Recognition
University and National Teaching Awards
- 2010 - Outstanding Service Award for the year 2009. Universiti Malaysia Sabah
- 2004 - Certificate of Appreciation for Excellent Service. Sikuati National Secondary School, Malaysia.
National and International Research Awards
- 2020 - Platinum Award, International Summit of Innovation & Design Exposition 2020, Moving Forward: Mediated digital subitizing, University of Malaya, Malaysia.
- 2019 - CEPSW Conference Awards 2019, Flinders University. (Awarded based on the number of journal articles in journals ranked as either Q1 or Q2 (by Scimago))
- 2019 - Platinum Award, International Summit of Innovation & Design Exposition 2019, The Missing Chapter: Subitizing (a Dyscaculia toolkit to help at-risk dyscalculic pupils to develop number sense) University of Malaya, Malaysia.
- 2017 - Universiti Malaysia Sabah Researchers Award. Centre for Research and Innovation. Universiti Malaysia Sabah. Malaysia.
- 2017 - Awarded 5 months Sabbatical leave to attach to the Melbourne Graduate School of Education, University of Melbourne as a visiting scholar cum researcher.
- 2014 - Bronze Prize (International Level Competition) for the invention of Dyscalculia Screener for Primary School Students. Seoul International Invention Fair 2014. Korean Invention Promotion Association. Seoul, Korea.
- 2014 - Gold Medal (National Level Competition) for the invention of Dyscalculia Screener for Primary School Students. 25th International Invention, Innovation & Technology Exhibition (ITEX). Malaysian Invention and Design Society (MINDS).
- 2013 - Gold Medal (University Level Competition) for Innovation category. Dyscalculia Screener for primary school students. Research and Innovation Competition. Research and Innovation Centre Universiti Malaysia Sabah, Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia.
- 2013 - Best Paper Award for Strand 3: Curriculum. Inaugural Post-Graduate Student Conference. Warwick University, UK.
- 2012 - Warwick University Conference Award.
- 2009-2013 - Doctoral Scholarship. Malaysia Ministry of Higher Education.
- 2017 - Long Service Award (University Level). Human Resource Department. Universiti Malaysia Sabah. Malaysia.
- 2003 - Undergraduate Award. Hainan Association Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
- Mathematical Thinking
- Mathematics Education