Analytical Solutions for Research and External Services
The School of Science at ECU has a number of active research groups working across several disciplines including, The Centre for Ecosystem Management (CEM, firstname.lastname@example.org), the Centre of Integrative Metabolomics and Computational Biology (CIM-CB, email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org), the Centre for Marine Ecosystems Research (CMER, email@example.com), the Mine Water and Environment Research (MiWER, firstname.lastname@example.org) and the Proteomics Facility (email@example.com). In addition to providing specialised analytical chemistry to research centres in the School of Science, the Science Analytical Facility also supports other research within and external to ECU in the fields of forensic science, medical and sport science, health and food science, agriculture and grain science, and industrial chemistry. Through the alliance with Thermo-Fisher Scientific, the Science Analytical Facility provides access to state-of-the art research instrumentation, as well as staff who have the knowledge, expertise and skills to produce reliable solutions to today’s most challenging analytical questions related to fundamental and applied research.
Analytical Facilities and Infrastructures
The ECU Science Analytical Facility is housed in state-of-the-art laboratories located on the Joondalup Campus. Cutting edge facilities and instrumentation include:
- Inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (iCAP™ RQ ICP-MS) and inductively coupled plasma optical emission spectrometry (iCAP™ 7600 duo ICP-OES) dedicated to trace elements analysis.
- Gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (Trace1310 ISQ™ GC-MS-FID) system with a TriPlus™ RSH autosampler for fully programmable automated sample preparation and sample introduction (e.g., SPME, on-line derivatisation) dedicated to target analysis of non-polar/volatile organic molecules.
- Gas chromatography- methaniser FID/FPD detection (Trace1310 ISQ™ GC-FID/FPD coupled to a methaniser system) with a TriPlus™ RSH autosampler for fully programmable automated sample preparation and sample introduction.
- Gas chromatography high resolution mass spectrometry (Q-Exactive™ GC Orbitrap™ MS) with a with a TriPlus™ RSH autosampler dedicated to target/non-target analysis of non-polar/volatile organic molecules and chemically derivatised polar analytes.
- Ultrahigh performance liquid chromatography triple quadrupole mass spectrometry (U3000 TSQ Quantiva ™) dedicated to ultra-low quantitation of target polar/non-volatile organic molecules.
- Ultrahigh performance liquid chromatography coupled to high resolution mass spectrometry (U 3000 Q Exactive™ UHPLC Orbitrap™) dedicated to target/non-target screening of polar/non-volatile organic molecules.
- Ultrahigh performance liquid chromatography QTrap mass spectrometry (Qtrap 5500+) dedicated to ultra-low quantitation of target proteins
- Nano LC coupled to Time of Flight mass spectrometry (Triple TOF 6600) dedicated to target/non-target screening of proteins
- Two Ultimate ultrahigh pressure liquid chromatography systems coupled to UV-Vis, fluorescence and evaporative light scattering detection for routine target analysis of polar/non-volatile organic molecules.
- FlashSmart™ elemental analyser coupled to a Delta V Plus Isotope Ratio Mass Spectrometer (Flash EA IRMS) for simultaneous determination of δ13C, δ15N stable isotopes and %C and %N in solid samples (e.g., fish, soils, sediments, salts, plant material, algae etc).
The Science Analytical Facility also houses a picoSpin TM for H-NMR, a ISQ GC-FID, a Nicolet™ iS™5 FT-IR Spectrometer for chemical fingerprinting of flat solid, powder and aqueous samples, a Lachat nutrients analyser, a Hapsite portable GC-MS, 2 x Quanta 4000 Waters capillary ion analysers, 2X Agilent Capillary electrophoresis systems, a MEP Multiwave GO microwave digestion system, a CAMAG HPTLC with ADC 2 + TLC visualizer + Linomat 5, various UV and fluorescence spectrometers, a Fisher Biotec Sublimate freeze drier and a number of centrifuges (e.g., Thermo Heraeus Megafuge 8, Thermo Savant SPD1010 Speedvac).