Junaid is a Post-Doctoral Research Fellow at the Security Research Institute within the School of Science.
Junaid has 15 years of information and cyber security experience in academia, industry and law- enforcement. Trained at Harvard Business School, University of Amsterdam, and Kaspersky Lab, he also has project management and cyber security management capabilities. Currently he is employed at the ECU Security Research Institute (ECUSRI) where he is conducting cyber security research to help safeguard some of the most vulnerable members of our society, those within the public healthcare sector. He has authored three books, over 50 research papers and holds several patents. Junaid’s pragmatic approach to research supervision and project management has earned him skills and experience in the supervision of diverse set of students. He received awards for his research achievements from Government of South Korea, Qatar, and Pakistan and from Saudi Arabia. He is a Senior Member of IEEE, High Technology Crime Investigation Association (HTCIA), Australian Computing Society, Australian Information Security Association, and frequently volunteers his time for public speaking events, conference organisation, and editing of scientific journals.
- Guest Professor/Security Consultant, 5/2015 – 10/2016, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Team Lead R&D and Training (Cyber Security), 02/2013- 3/2015, Information Security Center, Ministry of Interior, Doha, Qatar
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, 02/2012- 07/2013, Department of Computer Engineering, Qatar University, Qatar
- Senior Lecturer, 02/2010- 01/2012, School of Computer Science, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, Malaysia
- AssisTeam Lead R&D and Training (Cyber Security), 02/2013- 3/2015, Information Security Center, Ministry of Interior, Doha, Qatar. tant Professor, 01/2009- 01/2010, University of Hail, Saudi Arabia
- Project Officer, 08/2003- 01/2008, National Center of Excellence in Ubiquitous Networks, South Korea
- Software Engineer, 04/1999- 05/2003, WebTechnos. Net, Lahore, Pakistan
- IEEE, Senior Member
- Australian Computing Society (CP)
- Australian Information Security Association
- Event Processing Society
- Pakistan Society of Criminology (Life Member)
Awards and Recognition
National and International Awards
- 2015: University of Amsterdam Fellowship, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- 2014: Distinction in Certified Malware Analysts training, Organised by the Ministry of Interior, Qatar
- 2012:Distinguised Alumni Leadership Award, University of of Management and Technology, Lahore, Pakistan
- 2011: Universiti Teknologi Malaysia Scholarship for Teachers Training at Harvard Business School, Teaching by CASE Methods
University and National Teaching Awards
- 2015 Basis Kwalificatie Onderwijs (BKO) – University Teaching Qualification, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- 2011 Teaching Excellence Award: Lecturer of the year, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM), Malaysia
National and International Research Positions
- Team Lead R&D and Training (Cyber Security), 02/2013- 3/2015, Information Security Center, Ministry of Interior, Doha, Qatar.
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, 02/2012- 07/2013, Department of Computer Engineering, Qatar University, Qatar.
- FONDAZIONE BRUNO KESSLER Short Fellowship, “On Development of Lazy Algorithms for higher hit rate in Multisource Data Synchronisation Models”, Trento-Italy, 2009.
Research Areas and Interests
- Cyber security issues in medical devices and public Healthcare settings
- Network forensics
- Context aware cyber security
- Cross disciplinary research in cyber security