Overview of thesis
Seagrass meadows provide important ecosystem services and most of these ecological services are strongly influenced by the hydrodynamics of the flow and the vertical exchange of water within the canopy with water around the canopy. Through the exchange of dissolved and particulate material with their surroundings, the ecological and environmental influence of seagrass meadows extends beyond their physical boundaries. Hence, to describe the extent of ecological influence of seagrass meadows, it is necessary to understand the rate of vertical mixing in these environments. Despite the significant impacts of vertical mixing on ecological processes in aquatic environments, there is a paucity of knowledge on this area under wave flow conditions while many of seagrass canopies are located in wave dominated flow conditions.
So we aimed to focus on the characterization of vertical mixing in oscillatory canopy flow conditions. The vertical transport of both dissolved and particulate materials will be investigated by simulating the real (field) conditions in the laboratory. This project is a part of Collaborative Research Network and I am conducting my experiments in Hydraulics laboratory of University of Western Australia.
Project link: The wave-driven current in coastal canopies
- 2007-2010: M.Sc. in Hydraulic Structures, Dept. Of Water Engineering, Faculty of Agriculture, Urmia University, Urmia, Iran
- Master Thesis: Performance Evaluation of Sloping Sharp Crested Weirs in a Channel Bend
- 1999-2003: B.Sc. in Water Engineering, Dept. of Water Engineering, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, Mashhad, Iran
Research Areas and Interests
My research interest is to understand the hydrodynamics of the flow in different ecosystems. The complexity of the fluid flow in a marine ecosystem and its tremendous effects on the transport and exchange of the dissolve and particulate materials in the marine environments appeals me more to this concept. Since many of aquatic vegetation are located in the shallow water wave dominated flows, my interest is to explore the physical-biological interactions in these systems (wave dominated flow conditions).
- 2013 International Postgraduate Research Scholarship, Edith Cowan University
- 2013 Collaborative Research Network (CRN) Scholarship in the area of Ecohydraulics- Canopy Scale
- 2010 Elite Student Awards, Ministry of Energy’s Foundation of Elites, Tehran, Iran
- 2010 West Azerbaijan Regional Water Affair research grant on “Performance Evaluation of Sloping sharp Crested Weirs in a Channel Bend”, Iran, 62-3515
- Abdolahpour M., Roshan r., 2014, “Flow aeration after gate in bottom outlet tunnels”, Arabian Journal of Science and Engineering, DOI 10.1007/s13369-014-0954-5
- Abdolahpour, M., Yasi, M., Behmanesh, J., Vaghefi M., 2011, “Construction of a Concrete Bend Channel as a Hydraulic Model”, Advances in Natural and Applied Sciences, Vol. 5, No. 1, 34-40.
- H. Rahimzadeh H., Abdolahpour M., Roshan R. and Sarkardeh H., 2012, “Hydraulic Optimization of Flow over a Gated Spillway”, Dam Engineering Journal, Vol XXII, Issue 4, 293-303
- Abdolahpour, M., Yasi, M., Behmanesh, J. and Kansal M. L., 2012, “Performance Evaluation of Horizontal Sharp Crested Weirs in a Channel Bend”, International Journal of Hydrology Science and Technology, Vol 2, No. 4,
- Jorabloo, M., Abdolahpour, M., Roshan, R., Sarkardeh, H., 2011, “A Techno-economical view on energy losses at hydropower dams (Case study of Karun III Dam and Hydropower plant)”, Computational Methods in Multiphase Flow VI, Vol 70, 253-260, doi:10.2495/MPF110211
- Abdolahpour, M., Roshan, R., Sarkardeh, H., Azamathulla, H. MD., 2011, “Scouring Study at Karun IV Dam and Hydropower Plant”, 3rd International Conference on Managing Rivers in the 21st Century, PP. 179-183, Penang, Malaysia
- Hosseininezhad E., Khosrojerdi A. and Abdolahpour M., 2012, “Cavitation Probability between Gates in Dam Bottom Outlet (Case Study of Siazakh Dam Bottom Outlet, Iran)”, International Symposium on Dams for a Changing World, 5 June 2012, Kyoto-Japan
- Abdolahpour M., Roshan R.and Kansal M. L., 2012, “Design of Stilling Basin with Stepped End Sill”, 9th International Congress on Civil Engineering, Isfahan University of Technology, Isfahan, Iran
- Abdolahpour, M., Roshan, R., Karaminezhad A. and Sarkardeh H., 2011, “3D Study of Scour Hole at Downstream of Khersan III Dam”, The First International Conference on Dams and Hydropowers, Tehran, Iran
- Associate Professor Marco Ghisalberti, School of Environmental Systems Engineering (M015), University of Western Australia
- Professor Paul Lavery, School of Natural Science, Edith Cowan University
- Dr Kathryn McMahon, School of Natural Science, Edith Cowan University
Mrs Maryam Abdolahpour
Telephone: (61 8) 6488 7359