Production and Design Major
Unit set overview
Availability & Campus
Students must successfully complete the following six (6) specified units (120 credit points):
All students will work on two or more WAAPA productions. All WAAPA productions are presented to public audiences. The major culminates in an Industry Secondment unit where students will undertake an industry placement.
Clearances and/or Risk Management Protocols Required
Construction Industry OHS White Card and First Aid certificate is required.
- Demonstrate broad and coherent knowledge and skills in depth of production techniques and creative practice necessary for the performance industry.
- Review, analyse and synthesise knowledge to creatively or technically generate ideas in producing and realising performances.
- Exercise critical thinking and judgement to identify and sustainably solve problems in the planning, production and realisation of works for the performance industry.
- Successfully communicate knowledge, problems, arguments and ideas in modes suited to a wide range of personnel with a social and cultural awareness.
- Generate ideas through creativity, innovation, skills and knowledge in diverse contexts to produce and realise works for the performance industry.
- Demonstrate an ability to work collaboratively and independently on projects and apply responsibility and accountability for own work and learning.
- Demonstrate initiative, judgement, a global outlook and international perspective in planning, problem solving and decision making in the realisation of works for the performance industry.
Possible future job titles
Set and Costume Designers, Sound Designer, Lighting Designer, Production Manager, Stage Manager, Scenic Artist, Workshop Manager, Head Cutter, Machinist, Show Dresser, Wardrobe Technician, Milliner, Deputy Stage Manager, Assistant Stage Manager, General Backstage Worker, Sound Designer, Sound Mixer, Board Operator, Sound Technician, Boom Operator, Film & TV Sound Recordist, Workshop Supervisor, Head Mechanist, Head Fly Person, Scenic Artist, Props Maker, Head Carpenter, General Mechanist, Automation Operator, Visual Merchandiser, Head Electrician, Lighting Technician, Board Operator, Film & TV Lighting Technician, General Backstage Lighting Technician, Wardrobe Supervisor,