Addiction Studies Major
Unit set overview
Availability & Campus
|Unit Code||Unit Title||Credit Points|
|ADS1151||Addiction Studies: Fundamental Concepts||15|
|ADS1252||Addiction Studies: Psychoactive Drugs||15|
|ADS2253||Addiction Studies: Processes of Change||15|
|ADS2356||Addiction Studies: Intervention Initiatives||15|
|ADS3355||Addiction Studies: Social Action||15|
|ADS3252||Addiction Studies: Counselling Skills 1||15|
|ADS3351||Addiction Studies: Counselling Skills 2||15|
|ADS3458||Addiction Studies: Preventive Practice||15|
Two units within this major require students to attend on-campus classes. Students who are unable to attend classes may, with the permission of the Course Coordinator, substitute two online counselling units from the School of Arts and Humanities.
- Apply broad discipline knowledge to a range of theoretical and practical Health Science situations.
- Think critically to analyse, interpret and conceptualise complex Health Science problems.
- Think creatively to anticipate challenges and generate discipline specific solutions/responses.
- Use digital technologies and literacies to access, evaluate and synthesise relevant information from multiple sources.
- Communicate disciplinary knowledge and values in professional and public contexts.
- Demonstrate a global outlook with respect for cultural diversity, including Indigenous cultural competence.
- Work collaboratively and demonstrate initiative to implement social, sustainable, and ethical values.
- Demonstrate autonomy, accountability and judgement for own learning and professional practice.
There are interesting and dynamic addiction studies career pathways available in a range of health promotion agencies, not-for-profit organisations, research centres, welfare agencies, corrective services and the justice sector.
Possible future job titles
Community Health Officer, Drug Rehabilitation Officer, Youth Worker, Child Health Officer, Health Care Officer, Health Promotion Officer, Health Officer, Drug Policy Worker, Quit Smoking Project Officer, Healthy Lifestyle Coordinator, Research Officer, Health Project Coordinator