Top of page
Global Site Navigation

New Students

Local Section Navigation

Help us improve our content by rating this page.

Page rating system

Please leave a comment about your rating so we can better understand how we might improve the page.

You are here: Main Content

Working and tax

You will need to apply for a tax file number (TFN) from the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) before starting any employment. You will not be able to work until this is done.

It's important to know that all people in Australia are entitled to a certain standard of pay and workplace conditions. You can learn what to expect from your employer by visiting the The Fair Work Ombudsman web page.

Working conditions of any Australian visa can be checked via the Department of Immigration & Citizenship's Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO). It is important that you know and comply with these conditions.

Skip to top of page