Skip to main content Skip to navigation Skip to footer

The content on this page was written when life was 'normal'. Please check the latest government advice about borders and timing, including quarantine requirements.

If you're studying at ECU on a student visa, you'll need to pay Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) when you pay your tuition fees for the first semester.

This is a compulsory and basic insurance product, covering emergency medical conditions, public hospitals and most of the cost of visiting a doctor.

If you're studying under another visa, check that your travel insurance provides cover for medical costs incurred in Australia.

If it doesn't, you should purchase an optional basic health insurance policy.

More about OSHC

You'll need to arrange your cover before arrival in Australia and maintain it for the duration of your student visa.

How to get Overseas Student Health Cover

The easiest way for you to get your OSHC is to ask us to arrange cover for you with our preferred provider, Medibank.

Payments received by ECU for cover provided by Medibank will be paid to Medibank on your behalf.

For how long do you need OSHC?

You should arrive in Australia before your course start date so that you can attend Orientation events. In this case, you must ensure that your health cover commences prior to your arrival in Australia.

Your OSHC must cover the dates of your student visa. So you'll need to include additional time after your course completion date.

According to Department of Home Affairs requirements, if your course is longer than 10 months and finishes at the end of the Australian academic year (November or December), you should have OSHC until 15 March of the following year.

Example: If your course completion date (in your Offer Letter and Confirmation of Enrolment) is in December 2019, your OSHC must cover you until 15 March 2020.

Getting a refund for medical treatment

Attending a Medical Centre that directly bills Medibank makes it easier for you to get refunds or to make claims. Scroll down to find out more.

Related articles

Medical advice and help

ECU campuses have Student Health services providing physical and mental health support. Doctors are also available at Joondalup or Mount Lawley campus clinics.

Read More

Preparing to travel to Perth

If you're moving to Perth from overseas or interstate, we recommend you check the latest government advice about borders and timing, including quarantine requirements.

Read More


What does
that mean?
Here's a quick guide to some of the things we mention during the Preparing stage.
  • Orientation is a free program of activities to help you get ready to study as a new ECU student. Participating in Orientation will help you familiarise yourself with our university and discover important information about your course. You should attend as many Orientation activities as you can. Register at the Orientation webpage.

View more uni-speak