Home Economics Education Major
Prepares students to take on the challenges of teaching home economics in a range of subject areas across Years 7 to 12.
Students receive specialised instruction in both the theory and practical components relating to hospitality and food science, family and community studies, and textiles.
Availability & Campus
Students are required to complete 10 Content units and 2 Curriculum units. Content units educate students in the subject area and the Curriculum units explain how to teach the subject area to others.
|Unit Code||Unit Title||Credit Points|
|CHN1101||Ecology of Children and Families 1||15|
|CSC1175||Textiles and Clothing 1||15|
|NUT1111||Food and Nutrients||15|
|FAS1103||Inquiry for Textiles||15|
|HEE2113||Food Knowledge and Appreciation||15|
|HOS2500||Food Service Management||15|
|CSC3275||Textiles and Clothing 2||15|
|NUT2210||Nutrition in the Life Cycle||15|
|CUR4210||Curriculum Enrichment for the Major Secondary Specialisation||15|
For more detailed unit information for this Major take a look at our Handbook. To organise your life for next semester visit the Semester timetable.Student handbook
- Adapt knowledge and skills in diverse contexts to create positive learning environments in home economics.
- Communicate knowledge and ideas clearly in both written and oral formats.
- Critically reflect using accredited standards, mentor feedback and the ECA Code of Ethics to demonstrate responsibility and accountability and plan for continued collaborative and autonomous professional learning and development.
- Demonstrate broad and coherent knowledge of home economics education and the Australian curriculum and teaching strategies for home economics teaching in secondary education.
- Demonstrate leadership, exercise professional judgement and collaborate to plan, problem solve and make decisions in home economics.
- Exercise critical thinking and judgement to plan and implement home economics programs for a range of students with diverse abilities and needs, and assess the outcomes.
- Review analyse and synthesise knowledge of teaching strategies to plan for the content of home economics teaching.
Graduates will be eligible to seek employment in both government and non-government secondary schools teaching Home Economics.
Possible future job titles
Secondary Home Economics Teacher