Home Economics Education Major
Unit set overview
Availability & Campus
Students are required to complete 10 Content units and 2 Curriculum units. Content units educate students in the subject area and the Curriculum units explain how to teach the subject area to others.
|Unit Code||Unit Title||Credit Points|
|CHN1101||Ecology of Children and Families 1||15|
|CSC1175||Textiles and Clothing 1||15|
|NUT1111||Food and Nutrients||15|
|HEE2113||Food Knowledge and Appreciation||15|
|HOS2500||Food Service Management||15|
|CSC3275||Textiles and Clothing 2||15|
|NUT2210||Nutrition in the Life Cycle||15|
|CUR4210||Curriculum Enrichment for the Major Secondary Specialisation||15|
- Demonstrate broad and coherent knowledge of home economics education and the Australian curriculum and teaching strategies for home economics teaching in secondary education.
- Review analyse and synthesise knowledge of teaching strategies to plan for the content of home economics teaching.
- Exercise critical thinking and judgement to plan and implement home economics programs for a range of students with diverse abilities and needs, and assess the outcomes.
- Communicate knowledge and ideas clearly in both written and oral formats.
- Demonstrate leadership, exercise professional judgement and collaborate to plan, problem solve and make decisions in home economics.
- Adapt knowledge and skills in diverse contexts to create positive learning environments in home economics.
- Critically reflect using accredited standards, mentor feedback and the ECA Code of Ethics to demonstrate responsibility and accountability and plan for continued collaborative and autonomous professional learning and development.
Graduates will be eligible to seek employment in both government and non-government secondary schools teaching Home Economics.
Possible future job titles
Secondary Home Economics Teacher