Biological Sciences Major
Unit set overview
Availability & Campus
|Unit Code||Unit Title||Credit Points|
|SCC1123||Chemistry for the Life Sciences||15|
|SCI1183||Origins and Evolution of Life||15|
|SCI1187||Form and Function in Biology||15|
|SCI2112||Molecular Biology and Biochemistry||15|
|SCI2116||Diversity of Life||15|
|SCI3112||Evolution and Systematics||15|
|Plus 1 unit selected from the following:|
|SCB3201 ^||Studies in Ecology||15|
^ Core Option
- Think critically to analyse, construct field or experimental approaches and interpret results to complex biological problems.
- Think creatively to generate solutions/responses for biological questions.
- Use experimental and digital technologies and literacies to access, evaluate and synthesise relevant information from multiple sources.
- Communicate disciplinary knowledge and values in professional and public contexts.
- Demonstrate a global outlook on organismal diversity.
- Work collaboratively and demonstrate initiative to implement social, sustainable, and ethical values, including Indigenous cultural competence.
- Demonstrate autonomy, accountability and judgement for own learning and professional practice.
- Apply broad discipline knowledge to a range of theoretical and practical biological situations.
This major prepares graduates for professional employment in research, industry, teaching, government agencies and science-based businesses.
Possible future job titles
Biomedical Researcher, Nature Conservationist, Environmental Consultant, Botanist, Catchment Officer, Natural Resource Officer, Sanctuary Manager, Animal Biologist, Conservation Field Officer, Ecologist