This major complements many other disciplines and is suited to students who aspire to be employed as a community or corporate nutritionist offering general nutrition advice, or for employment in public health and health promotion roles.
The major provides practical science-based knowledge about nutrients and the non-nutrient substances in food, the assessment of nutritional status, nutritional needs during the lifecycle, community nutrition issues, the psychology and sociology of food habits, and current controversies in nutrition.
Availability & Campus
Students can apply for membership with Nutrition Society of Australia (NSA).
Enrolled students and graduates can apply for membership of the Nutrition Society of Australia (NSA). Graduates, who complete this nutrition major within a science degree, are eligible to apply to the Nutrition Society of Australia's Register of Nutritionists.
For more detailed unit information for this Major take a look at our Handbook. To organise your life for next semester visit the Semester timetable.Student handbook
- Apply broad human nutrition knowledge to a range of theoretical and practical health and nutrition science situations.
- Communicate health and nutrition science knowledge and uphold values in a range of community and professional contexts.
- Demonstrate autonomy and accountability for own learning and self-reflective professional practice.
- Demonstrate global perspectives and diverse cultural competence.
- Think creatively to anticipate challenges and generate health and nutrition science solutions.
- Think critically to analyse, interpret and conceptualise complex health and nutrition problems.
- Use digital technologies, numeracy and food literacies to access, evaluate and synthesise relevant information from multiple sources.
- Work collaboratively and demonstrate initiative to implement social, sustainable and ethical nutritional and health science values.
Possible future job titles
Community Nutritionist, Corporate Nutritionist, Research Nutritionist, Sports Nutritionist, Child Health Nutritionist, Health Promotion Nutritionist, Health Lifestyle Nutritionist, Aged Care Nutritionist