Our mission at the Electron Science Research Institute is to excel in fundamental and applied research focused on the integration of microelectronics and photonics and venture into related areas of nano-technology to develop novel integrated intelligent structures capable of adaptively processing ultra-wideband signals for key global market applications as well as creating a new platform for low-power system-on-chip integration.
The Institute aims to foster and maintain dynamic research relationships with outcome focused teams in the health, energy and environment domains to develop novel solutions with significant commercial application. The Institute also aims to achieve effective community and professional engagement with the University; and build and sustain high quality research and development capability.
The Electron Science Research Institute provides the overarching and guiding structure for several existing research centers of international standing. Each boasts an impressive suite of research programs.
Electron Science Research Institute
- A multi-wavelength light emitting diode array for near infrared breast scanner
- Fibre-optic sensor network for real-time water quality monitoring
- High speed bidirectional optical interconnect for board to board communications
- Microphotonic plant discrimination and weed control sensor
- Multi-laser DVD pickup
- Photonic sensor for object discrimination using wavelength multiplexing
- Plasmonics-based metal-semiconductor-metal photodetectors (MSM-PDs)
- Quantum information processing
- Ultra-high speed infrared light modulators and magneto-optic light controllers for telecommunications industry