Adjunct Associate Professor Zonghan Xie
Dr Zonghan Xie is an Adjunct Associate Professor with the School of Engineering with expertise in Materials Engineering.
Dr Zonghan Xie was awarded his PhD in May 2004. Over the past 5 years, he has held research and teaching positions at three Australian universities and a major overseas research institution as follows:
- December 2007–present: School of Engineering, Edith Cowan University (ECU), Position: Senior lecturer (full-time), Number of PhD students currently supervised: 4;
- August 2007–November 2007: Centre for Integrated Nanotechnologies (CINT), Los Alamos National Laboratory, NM, USA, Position: Director's Postdoctoral Fellow;
- February 2007–July 2007: Faculty of Dentistry, University of Sydney, Position: University of Sydney Postdoctoral Fellow;
- January 2005–January 2007: School of Materials Science and Engineering, University of New South Wales, Position: ARC Postdoctoral Fellow (APD).
Awards and Recognition
National and International Awards
- 2005 Ian Potter Foundation Award, Australia
University and National Teaching Awards
- 2008 Executive Dean's Award for Teaching Excellence
National and International Research Positions
- 2008 Visiting Fellow of University of New South Wales
- 2007 Director's Postdoctoral Fellow, Los Alamos National Laboratory, USA
- 2007 University of Sydney Postdoctoral Fellow
- 2006 Endeavour Australia Cheung Kong Fellow, Department of Education, Science and Training of Australian Government, Host institution: City University of Hong Kong
- 2004 Australian Postdoctoral Fellow, Australian Research Council
- 2006 Scientific Visit to Taiwan, Australian Academy of Science (AAS)
- 2003 1st Place in Ceramographic Poster Competition (Problem solving), 105th American Ceramic Society Conference, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
- 2002 1st Place in Poster Competition, Solid State Studies in Ceramics, Gordon Research Conference, NH, USA
- 2000 International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (IPRS), Department of Education, Science and Training of Australian Government
Research Areas and Interests
- Structure and mechanical behaviour of biological and engineering materials, including coatings and films, at multiple length scales.
- Bioinspired and biomimetic materials
- Advanced ceramics and composites
- Dental tissues and dental materials
- Nanomechanical behaviour of engineering and biological materials
- Deformation, fracture and failure
- Friction and wear
- Materials characterisation
- Doctor of Philosophy, The University of New South Wales .
Recent Research Grants
- Returning Western Australian Characterisation Capabilities to the Cutting Edge: High resolution analytical transmission electron microscopy, University of Western Australia, Grant - Linkage (Infrastructure), 2013, $2,652,000.
- High resolution X-ray micro computer tomography supporting West Australian geo-, physical and biological science, Australian Research Council, Grant - Linkage (Infrastructure), 2012 - 2013, $1,630,000.
- Improvement of friction and wear properties of TiAISiN coatings by laser surface patterning and high-energy ion implantation, Edith Cowan University, ECU Industry Collaboration - Grant, 2011, $77,750.
- Nanoscale Characterisation Centre WA Analytical Electron Microscope Facility, University of Western Australia, Grant - Linkage (Infrastructure), 2011, $-15,000.
- Structure and mechanical behaviour of dental enamel, Australian Dental Research Foundation Inc., ADRF - Grant, 2011, $8,300.
- Development of Superhard, Tough and Wear Resistant Nanocomposite Coatings, Edith Cowan University, ECU Industry Collaboration - Grant, 2010 - 2011, $70,500.
- Deformation and Wear Behaviour of Functionally-Gradient Nanocomposite Diamond-like Carbon (DLC) Coatings, Edith Cowan University, ECU Early Career Researcher - Grant, 2008 - 2009, $24,000.
Recent Publications (within the last five years)
- Wo, P., Zhao, X., Munroe, P., Zhou, Z., Li, K., Habibi, D., Xie, Z., (2013), Extremely hard, damage-tolerant ceramic coatings with functionally graded, periodically varying architecturefunctionally graded, periodically varying architecture. Acta Materialia, 61(1), 193-204, DOI: 10.1016/j.actamat.2012.09.049.
- Zhao, X., Munroe, P., Habibi, D., Xie, Z., (2013), Roles of compressive residual stress in enhancing the corrosion resistance of nano nitride composite coatings on steel. Journal of Asian Ceramic Societies, 1(1), 86-94, DOI: 10.1016/j.jascer.2013.03.002.
- Amri, A., Jiang, Z., Bahri, P., Yin, C., Zhao, X., Xie, Z., Duan, X., Widjaja, H., Rahman, M., Pryor?, T., (2013), Surface Electronic Structure and Mechanical Characteristics of Copper-Cobalt Oxide Thin Film Coatings: Soft X-ray Synchrotron Radiation Spectroscopic Analyses and Modeling. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 117(32), 16457-16467, DOI: 10.1021/jp404841m.
- Xu, J., Lai, D., Xie, Z., Munro, P., Jiang, Z., (2012), A critical role for Al in regulating the corrosion resistance of nanocrystalline Mo(Si 1-xAl x) 2 films. Journal of Materials Chemistry, 22(6), 2596-2606, DOI: 10.1039/c1jm14744g.
- Lai, D., Xu, J., Xie, Z., Habibi, D., Munroe, P., (2012), Mechanical characterization of a novel nanocrystalline coating: First-principles calculations and nanoindentation. Materials Characterization, 68, , 1-6, DOI: 10.1016/j.matchar.2012.03.003.
- Xu, J., Liu, L., Xie, Z., Munroe, P., (2012), Nanocomposite bilayer film for resisting wear and corrosion damage of a Ti-6Al-4V alloy. Surface and Coatings Technology, 206(19-20), 4156-4165, DOI: 10.1016/j.surfcoat.2012.04.015.
- Wo, PC., Munroe, PR., Li, Z., Jiang, ZT., Xie, Z., Zhou, Z., Li, KY., (2012), Factors governing the mechanical behaviour of CrSiN coatings: Combined nanoindentation testing and transmission electron microscopy. Materials Science and Engineering A, 534, , 297-308, DOI: 10.1016/j.msea.2011.11.072.
- Xu, J., Lai, D., Wu, J., Xie, Z., Munroe, P., (2012), Enhanced corrosion-resistance in nanocrystalline MoSi 2 films enabled by Cr additions. Surface and Coatings Technology, 206(23), 4947-4951, DOI: 10.1016/j.surfcoat.2012.05.116.
- Yin, CY., Minakshi, M., Ralph, DE., Jiang, ZT., Xie, Z., Guo, H., (2011), Hydrothermal synthesis of cubic ?-Fe2O3 microparticles using glycine: Surface characterization, reaction mechanism and electrochemical activity. Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 509(41), 9821-9825, DOI: 10.1016/j.jallcom.2011.08.048.
- Xu, J., Mao, X., Xie, Z., Munroe, P., (2011), Damage-tolerant, hard nanocomposite coatings enabled by a hierarchical structure. Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 115(39), 18977-18982, DOI: 10.1021/jp204091e.
- Wo, PC., Munroe, PR., Xie, Z., Zhou, Z., Li, KY., (2011), Three-dimensional visualization of scratch-induced subsurface damage in TiSiN/TiN multilayer coating using focused ion beam-scanning electron microscopic tomography technique. Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 94(5), 1598-1604, DOI: 10.1111/j.1551-2916.2010.04285.x.
- Xu, J., Xie, Z., Munroe, P., (2011), Effect of Cr alloying on friction and wear of sputter-deposited nanocrystalline (MoxCr1-x)5Si3 films. Intermetallics, 19(8), 1146-1156, DOI: 10.1016/j.intermet.2011.03.019.
- Lai, D., Xu, J., Xie, Z., Munroe, PR., (2011), Structure-property-performance of nanocomposite Cr?Si?N films synthesized by a duplex surface treatment technique. Journal of Materials Research, 26(24), 3020-3031.
- Ahmed, M., Zhou, Z., Munroe, P., Li, LK., Xie, Z., (2011), Control of the damage resistance of nanocomposite TiSiN coatings on steels: Roles of residual stress. Thin Solid Films, 519(15), 5007-5012 , DOI: doi:10.1016/j.tsf.2011.01.070.
- Ahmed, M., Zhao, X., Zhou, Z., Munroe, P., Tan, NC., Li, LK., Xie, Z., (2011), Effect of Thermal Annealing Upon Residual Stress and Mechanical Properties of Nanostructured TiSiN Coatings on Steel Substrates. Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 94(5), 1546-1551, United States, DOI: DOI: 10.1111/j.1551-2916.2010.04280.x.
- Ahmed, M., Munroe, P., Jiang, Z., Zhao, X., Rickard, W., Zhou, Z., Li, L., Xie, Z., (2011), Corrosion behaviour of nanocomposite TiSiN coatings on steel substrates. Corrosion Science, 53(11), 3678-3687, DOI: 10.1016/j.corsci.2011.07.011.
- Zhao, X., Xie, Z., Munroe, P., (2011), Nanoindentation of hard multilayer coatings: Finite element modelling. Materials Science and Engineering A, 528(3), 1111-1116, DOI: 10.1016/j.msea.2010.09.073.
- Wo, P., Munroe, P., Zhou, Z., Li, K., Xie, Z., (2010), Effects of TiN sublayers on the response of TiSiN nanocomposite coatings to nanoidentation and scratching contacts. Materials Science and Engineering: A, 527(16-17), 4447-4457, Switzerland, DOI: 10.1016/j.msea.2010.03.100.
- Wo, P., Munroe, P., Zhou, Z., Xie, Z., Li, K., (2010), Cross-sectional Transmission Electron Microscopy on Deformed Microstructures in Monolithic and Multilayer TiSiN/TiN Films. International Journal of Modern Physics B, 24(1-2), 18?25, Singapore, DOI: 10.1142/S0217979210063934.
- Singh, RK., Zhou, Z., Li, LK., Munroe, P., Hoffman, M., Xie, Z., (2010), Design of functionally graded carbon coatings against contact damage. Thin Solid Films, 518(20), 5769?5776, DOI: 10.1016/j.tsf.2010.05.109.
- Wo, P., Munroe, P., Vasiliev, M., Xie, Z., Alameh, K., Kotov, V., (2009), A Novel Technique for Microstructure Characterization of Garnet Films. Optical Materials, 32(2), 315-322, The Netherlands, DOI: 10.1016/j.optmat.2009.07.025.
- Vasiliev, M., Wo, P., Alameh, K., Munroe, P., Xie, Z., Kotov, V., Burkov, V., (2009), Microstructural characterization of sputtered garnet materials and all-garnet magnetic heterostructures: establishing the technology for magnetic photonic crystal fabrication. Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, 42(13), Article number 135003, United Kingdom, DOI: 10.1088/0022-3727/42/13/135003.
- Xie, Z., Swain, M., Hoffman, M., (2009), Structural integrity of enamel: experimental and modeling. Journal of Dental Research, 88(6), 529?533, United States, DOI: 10.1177/0022034509337130.
- Xie, Z., Swain, M., Swadener, G., Munroe, P., Hoffman, M., (2009), Effect of microstructure upon elastic behaviour of human tooth enamel. Journal of Biomechanics, 42(8), 1075-1080, United States, DOI: 10.1016/j.jbiomech.2009.02.004.
- Xie, Z., Hoffman, M., Munroe, P., Bendavid, A., Martin, P., (2008), Deformation mechanisms of TiN multilayer coatings alternated by ductile or stiff interlayers. ACTA MATERIALIA, 56(4), 852-861, The Boulevard, Langford Lane, Kidlington, Oxford OX5 1GB, England.
- Singh, RK., Tilbrook, M., Xie, Z., Bendavid, A., Martin, P., Munroe, P., Hoffman, M., (2008), Contact damage evolution in diamondlike carbon coatings on ductile substrates. Journal of Materials Research, 23(1), 27-36.
- Singh, R., Xie, Z., Bendavid, A., Martin, P., Munroe, P., Hoffman, M., (2008), Effect of substrate roughness on the contact damage of DLC coatings. Diamond and Related Materials, 17(6), 975-979, Switzerland.
- Xie, Z., Kilpatrick, N., Swain, M., Munroe, P., Hoffman, M., (2008), Transmission Electron Microscope Characterisation of Molar-Incisor-Hypomineralisation. Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, 19(10), 3187-3192, US.
- Xie, Z., Swain, M., Munroe, P., Hoffman, M., (2008), On the critical parameters that regulate the deformation behaviour of tooth enamel. Biomaterials, 29(17), 2697-2703, Netherlands.
- Al-Shabib, W., Habibi, D., Xie, Z., Zhao, X., (2012), Identifying smart conducting materials for Wi-Fi electromagnetic interference shielding. 2012 Asia-Pacific Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, APEMC 2012 - Proceedings, 741-744, DOI: 10.1109/APEMC.2012.6237899.
- Ahmed, M., Munroe, P., Jiang, Z., Zhao, X., Wajrak, M., Guo, H., Rickard, W., Xie, Z., (2012), Corrosion- and damage-resistant nitride coatings for steel. Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 95(21-23 July 2011), 2997-3004, DOI: 10.1111/j.1551-2916.2012.05328.x.
Research Student Supervision
- Master of Engineering Science, Finite Element Analysis Of Stress Distribution Within Metal- On - Metal Joint Replacements.