Providing a consistent message
Management of chronic pain
This interprofessional learning through simulation resource package consists of two components: an audiovisual resource and a supporting facilitator manual. In order to optimise the learning opportunities from this package it is recommended that participants are firstly introduced to the concepts of interprofessional learning and human factors in health care.
The audiovisual resource shows how a client visits a range of health care professionals who all reinforce the key messages of self-management, activity pacing and goal setting to minimise the impact of chronic pain on daily living. The package has been created in a format to enable flexibility in its application depending on the educational setting.
- Facilitator guided discussion around the concepts of interprofessional learning and human factors in health care
- View segment ‘General Practitioner consult 1’ of audiovisual resource
- Facilitator guided discussion around the scenario specific learning competency areas (samples given within manual)
- View remaining segments of audiovisual resource
- Facilitator guided discussion, identifying and discussing the changes witnessed and how this resulted in an alternative outcome
Scenario briefLuke Hanning is a 34 year old man who sustained a back injury from surfing a few months ago. An MRI diagnosed a prolapsed disc. Due to his back pain Luke is no longer able to work as a bricklayer, his wife is now working full time and his two children being placed in day care in order for her to do so. The family is struggling financially and Luke is suffering from signs of depression. His general practitioner (GP) would like Luke to attend an interdisciplinary specialist pain clinic but Luke believes increased medication is the only way to deal with his pain.
The specific learning competency areas for this scenario are:
- Client centred care
- Interprofessional and client centred communication
- Perceptions and attitudes influencing practice
- General Practitioner consult 1 (MP4 File, 27.13 mb)
- Home situation (MP4 File, 21.50 mb)
- General Practitioner consult 2 (MP4 File, 32.56 mb)
- Occupational Therapist assessment (MP4 File, 22.97 mb)
- Physiotherapist consult (MP4 File, 47.76 mb)
- Clinical Psychologist consult (MP4 File, 36.65 mb)
- General Practitioner consult 3 (MP4 File, 11.08 mb)