Ms Sadie Geraghty
Contact Information Email: email@example.com, Campus: Joondalup, Room: JO21.420
- Master of Midwifery (Research)
- Master of Midwifery Practice
- Master of Midwifery by Coursework
- Sadie has a background in clinical midwifery, primarily in drug and / or alcohol use in antenatal, intrapartum and postnatal care. She also has experience sociology and anthropology.
- Registered Midwife with the Nursing & Midwifery Board of Australia
- Australian College of Midwives
- Adjunct Teaching Fellow Curtin University
- Member of Drug and Alcohol Nurses of Australia
- Member of the Midwifery Workforce Planning Committee
- Associate member of the Drug & Alcohol Council of Australia
Awards and Recognition
National and International Awards
- 2010-2011: Nurse/Midwife of the Year in Western Australia
- 2010: Finalist in the Western Australian Health Awards
- 2010: Metropolitan Midwife of the Year in Western Australia
- 2005: King Edward Memorial Hospital Preceptor Award
- 2004: Edith Cowan University Clinical Preceptor Award
- 2003: Curtin University Clinical Preceptor Award
- 2000: General Award from the Iolanthe Midwifery Trust
Research Areas and Interests
- Substance use in pregnancy
- Drug and/or alcohol use in childbirth
- Midwifery education
- Stress and coping behaviours of labour and birth suite midwives
MEd (Master of Education), The University of Western Australia, 2009 .
Dip (Diploma), Other WA higher ed institution, 2008 .
GradCert (Graduate Certificate), Curtin University of Technology, 2007 .
GradCert (Graduate Certificate), The Flinders University of South Australia, 2006 .
MMidwifery (Master of Midwifery), Curtin University of Technology, 2005 .
BScHons (Bachelor of Science Honours), England, 2001 .
BAHons (Bachelor of Arts Honours), England, 1998 .
Recent Publications (within the last five years)
Geraghty, S., (2015), Reaching out: caring for women prisoners in Western Australia. The Practising Midwife, 18(1), 26 - 28, Bromley, United Kingdom.
Grier, G., Geraghty, S., (2015), Mind matters: Developing skills and knowledge in postnatal depression. British Journal of Midwifery, 23(2), 110 - 114, London, United Kingdom, DOI: DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.12968/bjom.2015.23.2.110.
Geraghty, S., Bayes, S., McLaurin, R., O'Connor, A., (2013), Papanicoloau smear uptake among substance-using mothers in Western Australia. British Journal of Midwifery, 21(12), 868-872, United Kingdom.
Geraghty, S., McLaurin, R., (2012), Placenta praevia, placental abruption and amphetamine use in pregnancy: A case study. Women and Birth, 25(4), 174-179, Australia, DOI: 10.1016/j.wombi.2012.11.002.
Geraghty, S., Dixon, C., (2012), The use of naltrexone in pregnancy in opiate-dependent mothers. British Journal of Midwifery, 20(7), 503-506, United Kingdom.
Harding, D., Yap, S., Vine, L., Geraghty, S., Nazareth, S., Hamilton, D., Cheng, W., (2011), Hepatitis C in Pregnancy in Western Australia: a cross-sectional study. Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, 26(4), 104, Sydney, Australia.
Geraghty, S., Bell, L., McLaurin, R., Bayes, S., (2010), The Wonderful WANDAS of WA. Australian Midwifery News, 10(3), 17-19, Australia.
Godwin, H., Geraghty, S., Pinch, C., (2014), A West Australian birthing experience in the Philippines., 1.
Bayes, S., Pinch, C., Geraghty, S., (2014), Bolus enteral feeding for neonates - plunge or gravity: defining the best method. Bolus enteral feeding for neonates - plunge or gravity: defining the best method, C163.
Geraghty, S., McLaurin, R., O'Connor, A., (2014), Providing midwifery care for substance-using pregnant inmates in Western Australia., C207, Prague, Czech Republic.
Geraghty, S., McLaurin, R., O'Connor, A., (2013), The implementation of the first outreach antenatal clinic for incarcerated, substance-using pregnant women in Western Australia. Women and Birth Supplement 1 October 2013, 26(30 Sept-3 Oct 2013), 29 - 30, DOI: 10.1016/j.wombi.2013.08.185.
O'Conner, A., Geraghty, S., (2011), Are women who misuse drugs and alcohol in pregnancy deficient in Vitamin D?. Proceedings of the Women's and Children's Hospitals Australasia Conference, 1-2.
Geraghty, S., O'Connor, A., (2011), Dark side of the womb: Vitamin D status amongst pregnant drug and/or alcohol using women in Western Australia. Women?s Hospitals Australasia Program 2011, 1, Adelaide, South Australia.
Hart, A., Geraghty, S., Bayes, S., (2014), African Immigrant Parents' Understanding Of Their Teenager's Newly Diagnosed Diabetes Status In Perth, Western Australia., Darwin, Northern Territory, DOI: 10.13140/2.1.2092.0329.
Geraghty, S., (2012), Outback Angel. Outback Angel, 126, Australia.
Harding, D., Geraghty, S., Nazareth, S., Hamilton, D., Cheng, W., (2011), Hep C in Pregnancy in Western Australia - poster. Gastroenterology Society of Australia Conference, Brisbane Conference & Exhibition Centre.