Occupational Therapy and Speech Pathology
A school case study
This interprofessional learning through simulation resource package consists of four components: an audiovisual resource, a tutorial day schedule, a PowerPoint presentation and supporting documents. In order to optimise the learning opportunities from this package it is recommended that participants are firstly introduced to the concepts of interprofessional learning and human factors in health care.
The package has been created in a format to enable flexibility in its application depending of the educational setting, though we recommend following the tutorial day schedule.
Divide the students into small groups and provide them with information in progressive sessions. Each session consists of studying documentation and watching one or more audiovisual segments, followed by small group discussion which is fed back to the group as a whole.
- Documentation - Referral letter
View segments - Initial planning and Introducing the plan
- Documentation - Family quality of life survey
View segment - Parent interview
- Documentation - Speech Pathologist assessment data and notes
View segment - Teacher interview
- Documentation - Accelerated Learning Centre for Autism report and Assessment of Basic Language and Learning Skills report
View segment - Assessing the child
- View segment - Reviewing the assessment
Corey is a 6 year old boy with autism. He is referred to an Occupational Therapist and a Speech Pathologist, who work together with the parents and teacher to assess the child’s developmental needs and set relevant goals.
The specific interprofessional learning competency areas for this scenario are:
- Interprofessional communication
- Team functioning and collaboration
- Role clarification
- Client centred care
- Acknowledgements (PDF File, 60.2 KB)
- Tutorial day schedule (PDF File, 404.3 KB)
- Referral letter (PDF File, 178.3 KB)
- Family quality of life survey (PDF File, 363.0 KB)
- Speech Pathologist assessment data and notes (PDF File, 634.0 KB)
- Accelerated Learning Centre for Autism report (PDF File, 1.3 MB)
- Assessment of Basic Language and Learning Skills report (PDF File, 1.7 MB)