Dr Yasir Al-Abdeli
Contact Information Telephone: (61 8) 6304 5439, Email: Y.Al-Abdeli@ecu.edu.au, Campus: Joondalup, Room: JO23.348
|Telephone:||(61 8) 6304 5439|
- ENM1102 Engineering Drawing and Computer Aided Design
- ENS2108 Mechanical Science
- ENS2170 Principles of Industrial Maintenance
- ENS2160 Thermodynamics
- 2008, Edith Cowan University, School of Engineering (Senior Lecturer)
- 2007, Monash University (Malaysia), School of Engineering (Senior Lecturer)
- 2003-2006, University of Tasmania, School of Engineering (Post Doctoral Fellow, Hydrogen Energy)
- The Institution of Engineers Australia (MIEAust)
- Australasian Association for Engineering Education (Member)
Awards and Recognition
University and National Teaching Awards
- 2010 - Winner, Vice-Chancellor’s Award , Engagement in Learning and Teaching (ECU)
- 2014 - Workshops Coordinator, Australian Combustion Symposium, The University Club of Western Australia
- 2010-2013 - Faculty Elected Member, University Academic Board (ECU)
- 2011 - Technical Chair, Australasian Association for Engineering Education Conference, Fremantle (AAEE)
- Peer Reviewer: Competitive Grants, Journals and Conferences
Research Areas and InterestsYasir Al-Abdeli is the founder/leader of the Thermofluids Research Group at ECU. His research interests span four main areas:
- Hydrogen and alternate energy technology - mobile and stationary applications
- Fluids - jets and flow instabilities
- Combustion - combustion processes and swirl
- Experimental techniques and diagnostics - turbulence measurements and flow visualisations
- Master of Science, Iraq .
- Doctor of Philosophy, The University of Sydney, 2004 .
- BEng (Bachelor of Engineering), Iraq, 1990 .
Recent Research Grants
- Stand Alone Solar-Hydrogen Energy System for Remote Areas with Integrated Reverse Osmosis, National Centre of Excellence in Desalination, 2011 NCEDA PHD Supplementary Scholarship, 2011 - 2014, $30,000.
- A Mobile Learning Platform for Sustainability in Power Engineering, Based on Hybrid Renewable Energy, The Australian Power Institute Limited, Australian Power Institute - Grant, 2011 - 2012, $105,517.
Recent Publications (within the last five years)
- Al-Abdeli, Y., Lindsay, E., (2011), Proceedings of the 22nd Annual Conference for the Australasian Association for Engineering Education. Developing Engineers for Social Justice: Community Involvement, Ethics & Sustainability, 650, Engineering House, 11 National Circuit, Barton ACT 2600.
- Clarke, D., Al-Abdeli, Y., Kothapalli, G., (2013), The impact of renewable energy intermittency on the operational characteristics of a stand-alone hydrogen generation system with on-site water production. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 38(28), 12253-12265.
- Clarke, D., Al-Abdeli, Y., Kothapalli, G., (2013), The effects of including intricacies in the modelling of a small-scale solar-PV reverse osmosis desalination system. Desalination, 311(15 Feb 2013), 127-136.
- Thomas, B., Ahmed, Z., Al-Abdeli, Y., Matthews, M., (2013), The Optimisation of a Turbulent Swirl Nozzle Using CFD. Proceedings of The Australian Combustion Symposium, 271-274.
- Clarke, D., Al-Abdeli, Y., Kothapalli, G., (2011), Modelling Small-Scale Stand-Alone (PV) Energy Systems with Reverse Osmosis Integration. MODSIM2011, 19th International Congress on Modelling and Simulation. , 3031-3037, Perth, Australia.
- Al-Abdeli, Y., (2009), Cooperative work supplemented by eGroups: learner perspectives. Proceedings of 20th Annual Conference for the Australasian Association for Engineering Education, 375-380, Adelaide, South Australia.
Research Student Supervision
- S1 Engine Modeling Using Artificial Neural Networks As Virtual Sensors Prediction.
- Performance Appraisal Of A Four-stroke Hydrogen Internal Combustion Engine.
- Study Of Predictive Models For Emissions In Hydrogen Assisted Dual Fuel Internal Comustion Engine.