Research Areas and Interests
Dr Nikola Medic
Contact Information Telephone: (61 8) 63045879, Mobile: 0478136218, Email: email@example.com, Campus: Joondalup, Room: JO19.3100
|Telephone:||(61 8) 63045879|
- Psychology of sport and exercise
- Social psychology of athletic coaching
- Foundations of Social Psychology
- Psycho-social Aspects in Physical Activity and Chronic Disease
- Research and computer methods in strength and conditioning
- September 2008–Present: Senior Lecturer, ECU
- December 2007–August 2008: Postdoctoral Research Fellow, UWA
- July–December 2007: Postdoctoral Research Fellow, UWA
- September–December 2006: Lecturer, Brock University
- September–December 2005: Lecturer, Brock University
- Psychology Board of Australia
- Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency
- APS College of Sport and Exercise Psychologists
- Australian Psychological Society
- International Society of Sport Psychology
- North American Society for the Psychology of Sport and Physical Activity
- Canadian Society for Psychomotor Learning and Sport Psychology
Research Areas and Interests
- Facilitation of intrinsic motivation and self-determination
- Relative age effects in sport
- Development and maintenance of sport expertise
- Psychology of aging and physical activity
- Masters athletes and lifetime commitment to sport
- Mental training for optimal performance and well-being in sport
- Doctor of Philosophy, Canada .
- Bachelors Degree, Canada .
- Master of Arts, Canada .
Recent Publications (within the last five years)
- Young, B., Medic, N., (2012), Expert Masters Sport Performers: Perspectives on Age-Related Processes, Skill Retention mMchanisms, and Motives. The Oxford Handbook on Sport and Performance Psychology, 493-511, New York, USA, DOI: 10.1093/oxfordhb/9780199731763.001.0001.
- Medic, N., (2010), Dream it, live it, love it: The research evidence. 50 athletes over 50 teach us to live a strong, healthy, life: Tools, insights, and inspirations for living spectacularly, 163-176, Denver, CO.
- Medic, N., (2010), Masters athletes. Routledge handbook of applied sport psychology: A comprehensive guide for students and practitioners , 387-395, London.
- Medic, N., (2009), Understanding masters athletes? motivation for sport. The masters athlete: Understanding the role of sport and exercise in optimizing aging, 105-121, New York.
- Young, BW., Medic, N., (2008), The motivation to become an expert athlete: How coaches can promote long-term commitment. Developing sport expertise: Researches and coaches put theory into practice, 43-59, London.
- Medic, N., Young, B., Starkes, J., Weir, P., (2012), Relationship between having a coach and masters athletes? motivational regulations for sport and achievement goal orientations. International Journal of Coaching Science, 6(1), 65-79, Korea.
- Wigglesworth, J., Young, B., Medic, N., Grove, JR., (2012), Examining gender differences in the determinants of masters swimmers? sport commitment. International Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology, 10(3), 236-250.
- Cheong, J., Lay, B., Grove, JR., Medic, N., Razman, R., (2012), Practicing field hockey skills along the contextual interference continuum: A comparison of five practice schedules. Journal of Sports Science and Medicine, 11(2), 304-311.
- Young, BW., Medic, N., (2011), Examining social influences on the sport commitment of Masters swimmers. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 12(2), 168-175, DOI: 10.1016/j.psychsport.2010.09.004.
- Medic, N., Young, BW., Medic, D., (2011), Participation-related relative age effects in Masters swimming: A 6-year retrospective longitudinal analysis. Journal of Sports Sciences, 29(1), 29-36, London, DOI: 10.1080/02640414.2010.520726.
- Elferink-Gemser, M., Starkes, J., Medic, N., Lemmink, K., Visscher, C., (2011), What discriminates elite and sub-elite youth field hockey players?. Annals of Research in Sport and Physical Activity, 1(1), 30-46.
- Young, BW., Piamonte, ME., Grove, JR., Medic, N., (2011), A longitudinal study of masters swimmers' commitment. International Journal of Sport Psychology, 42(5), 436-460.
- Young, BW., Medic, N., Starkes, JL., (2009), Effects of self-monitoring training logs on behaviors and beliefs of swimmers. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology, 21(4), 413-428, United States, DOI: 10.1080/10413200903222889.
- Medic, N., Starkes, J., Weir, P., Young, B., Grove, JR., (2009), Relative Age Effect in Masters Sports: Replication and Extension. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, 80(3), 669-675, United States.
- Medic, N., Young, BW., Starkes, JL., Weir, PL., Grove, JR., (2009), Gender, age, and sport differences in the relative age effects among USA Masters swimming and track and field athletes. Journal of Sports Sciences, 27(14), 1535-1544, London, DOI: 10.1080/02640410903127630.
- Young, BW., Medic, N., Weir, PL., Starkes, JL., (2008), Explaining Performance in Elite Middle-Aged Runners: Contributions From Age, Ongoing and Past Training Factors. Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology, 30(6), 737-754.
- Young, BW., Weir, PL., Starkes, JL., Medic, N., (2008), Does lifelong training temper age-related decline in sport performance? Interpreting differences between cross-sectional and longitudinal data. Experimental Aging Research, 34(1), 27-48.
Research Student Supervision
- Master of Science (Sports Science), Exploring Predictors Of Sport Commitment In Coaches.
- Identification And Development Of Mental Toughness In Elite Cricket.