Dr Nikola Medic
Contact Information Telephone: (61 8) 63045879, Mobile: 0478136218, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Campus: Joondalup, Room: JO19.3100
- Psychology of sport and exercise
- Social psychology of athletic coaching
- Foundations of Social Psychology
- Psycho-social Aspects in Physical Activity and Chronic Disease
- Research and computer methods in strength and conditioning
- September 2008–Present: Senior Lecturer, ECU
- December 2007–August 2008: Postdoctoral Research Fellow, UWA
- July–December 2007: Postdoctoral Research Fellow, UWA
- September–December 2006: Lecturer, Brock University
- September–December 2005: Lecturer, Brock University
- Psychology Board of Australia
- Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency
- APS College of Sport and Exercise Psychologists
- Australian Psychological Society
- International Society of Sport Psychology
- North American Society for the Psychology of Sport and Physical Activity
- Canadian Society for Psychomotor Learning and Sport Psychology
Research Areas and Interests
- Facilitation of intrinsic motivation and self-determination
- Relative age effects in sport
- Development and maintenance of sport expertise
- Psychology of aging and physical activity
- Masters athletes and lifetime commitment to sport
- Mental training for optimal performance and well-being in sport
Doctor of Philosophy, Canada .
Bachelors Degree, Canada .
Master of Arts, Canada .
Recent Publications (within the last five years)
Grove, JR., Jackson, B., Longbottom, J., Medic, N., (2013), Distinguishing between positive and negative exercise habits. Applied topics in health psychology, 44-53, Chichester, West Sussex, UK.
Young, B., Medic, N., (2012), Expert Masters Sport Performers: Perspectives on Age-Related Processes, Skill Retention mMchanisms, and Motives. The Oxford Handbook on Sport and Performance Psychology, 493-511, New York, USA, DOI: 10.1093/oxfordhb/9780199731763.001.0001.
Medic, N., (2010), Dream it, live it, love it: The research evidence. 50 athletes over 50 teach us to live a strong, healthy, life: Tools, insights, and inspirations for living spectacularly, 163-176, Denver, CO.
Medic, N., (2010), Masters athletes. Routledge handbook of applied sport psychology: A comprehensive guide for students and practitioners , 387-395, London.
Medic, N., (2009), Understanding masters athletes? motivation for sport. The masters athlete: Understanding the role of sport and exercise in optimizing aging, 105-121, New York.
Medic, N., Young, B., Grove, JR., (2013), Perceptions of five-year competitive categories: Model of how relative age influences competitiveness in Masters sport. Journal of Sports Science and Medicine, 12(4), 724-729, Turkey.
Cheong, J., Lay, B., Grove, JR., Medic, N., Razman, R., (2012), Practicing field hockey skills along the contextual interference continuum: A comparison of five practice schedules. Journal of Sports Science and Medicine, 11(2), 304-311.
Medic, N., Young, B., Starkes, J., Weir, P., (2012), Relationship between having a coach and masters athletes? motivational regulations for sport and achievement goal orientations. International Journal of Coaching Science, 6(1), 65-79, Korea.
Wigglesworth, J., Young, B., Medic, N., Grove, JR., (2012), Examining gender differences in the determinants of masters swimmers? sport commitment. International Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology, 10(3), 236-250.
Elferink-Gemser, M., Starkes, J., Medic, N., Lemmink, K., Visscher, C., (2011), What discriminates elite and sub-elite youth field hockey players?. Annals of Research in Sport and Physical Activity, 1(1), 30-46.
Young, BW., Piamonte, ME., Grove, JR., Medic, N., (2011), A longitudinal study of masters swimmers' commitment. International Journal of Sport Psychology, 42(5), 436-460.
Medic, N., Young, BW., Medic, D., (2011), Participation-related relative age effects in Masters swimming: A 6-year retrospective longitudinal analysis. Journal of Sports Sciences, 29(1), 29-36, London, DOI: 10.1080/02640414.2010.520726.
Young, BW., Medic, N., (2011), Examining social influences on the sport commitment of Masters swimmers. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 12(2), 168-175, DOI: 10.1016/j.psychsport.2010.09.004.
Medic, N., Starkes, J., Weir, P., Young, B., Grove, JR., (2009), Relative Age Effect in Masters Sports: Replication and Extension. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, 80(3), 669-675, United States.
Medic, N., Young, BW., Starkes, JL., Weir, PL., Grove, JR., (2009), Gender, age, and sport differences in the relative age effects among USA Masters swimming and track and field athletes. Journal of Sports Sciences, 27(14), 1535-1544, London, DOI: 10.1080/02640410903127630.
Young, BW., Medic, N., Starkes, JL., (2009), Effects of self-monitoring training logs on behaviors and beliefs of swimmers. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology, 21(4), 413-428, United States, DOI: 10.1080/10413200903222889.
Medic, N., Young, B., (2013), The Effect of Passion on Persistence and Dropout Behaviours of Masters Track and Field Athletes Over an Eight-Year Period. 5th International Conference On Self-Determination Theory: 2013 Conference Guide, 10.
Research Student Supervision
Master of Science (Sports Science), Exploring Predictors Of Sport Commitment In Coaches.
Identification And Development Of Mental Toughness In Elite Cricket.