Associate Professor Jan Gray
Associate Dean Research
Contact Information Telephone: (61 8) 9370 6320, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Campus: Mount Lawley, Room: ML17.146
|Telephone:||(61 8) 9370 6320|
|Facsimile:||(61 8) 9370 6044|
- Teachers Certificate, Other WA higher ed institution .
- PhD, Edith Cowan University, 2000 .
- Master of Education, Edith Cowan University, 1996 .
- Bachelor of Education, Edith Cowan University, 1993 .
Recent Research Grants
- Evaluation of Fogarty EDvance Initiative, Fogarty Foundation, Fogarty EDvance Initiative - tender, 2012 - 2015, $230,010.
- Challenges of Participation: Governance in Anglican System Schools, Edith Cowan University, ECU Industry Collaboration Grant - 2014 (Round 1), 2014, $85,148.
- Completing Year 11: Providing Quality Retention for Western Australian Students Phase 6, Sevenoaks Senior College, Grant, 2013 - 2014, $30,333.
- Completing Year 11: Providing Quality Retention for WA Students. Phase 5, Sevenoaks Senior College, Grant, 2012 - 2013, $15,930.
- Increasing School Engagement, Edith Cowan University, Grant, 2009 - 2012, $11,964.
- Research and Mapping for the MCEECDYA Project: Student Academic Engagement, Department of Education WA, Grant, 2011 - 2012, $172,668.
- Completing Year 11: Providing Positive Retention for WA Students (Clarkson Community High School), Clarkson Community High School, Grant, 2010 - 2012, $20,000.
- Completing Year 11: Providing Quality Retention for WA Students Phase 3, Sevenoaks Senior College, Grant, 2009 - 2011, $25,723.
- Providing Quality Retention: Enhancing Student Confidence and Satisfaction Phase 2, Sevenoaks Senior College, Grant, 2008 - 2010, $49,648.
- 100 Schools Project, Department of Education and Training WA, Grant, 2003 - 2009, $502,727.
- Enhancing Year 12 Student Achievement. Phase 1 (Instrument Development), Mount Lawley Senior High School, Grant, 2008 - 2009, $4,545.
- Asia Pacific Centre of Excellence for Teacher Education and Innovations, Yayasan Sampoerna - Sampoerna Foundation Teacher Institute, Grant, 2007 - 2009, $159,913.
- Longitudinal Study of Indigenous Student Retention and Success in High School, Australian Research Council, Grant - Linkage (Projects), 2004 - 2009, $1,059,316.
- Balga Senior High School ICT Evaluation 2006, Balga Senior High School, Grant, 2006 - 2007, .
- Phase 1 of the Year 11 Quality Retention Project, Sevenoaks Senior College, Grant, 2006 - 2007, $18,182.
- Aboriginal Students and Numeracy Phase II, Association of Independent Schools of WA, AISWA - Grant, 2004 - 2005, $32,000.
Recent Publications (within the last five years)
- Beresford, Q., Gray, J., (2012), Models of policy development in Aboriginal Education. Reform and Resistance in Aboriginal Education, 120-148, Crawley, Western Australia.
- Gray, J., Partington, G., (2012), Attendance and non-attendance at school. Reform and Resistance in Aboriginal Education, 261-303, Crawley, Western Australia.
- Gray, J., Campbell-Evans, G., Leggett, B., (2013), Independent Public Schools: Boards in transition. Leading and Managing , 19(1), 72-88.
- Cahill, R., Gray, J., (2010), Funding and Secondary School Choice in Australia: A Historical Consideration. The Australian Journal of Teacher Education, 35(1), 121-138, Perth, WA.
- Pearce, M., Gray, J., Campbell-Evans, G., (2010), Challenges of the secondary school context for inclusive teaching. Issues in Educational Research, 20(3), 294-313, Australia.
- Pearce, M., Campbell-Evans, G., Gray, J., (2010), Capacity to be inclusive: Secondary teachers' perspective. Special Education Perspectives, 19(1), 15-27, NSW Australia.
- Pearce, M., Gray, J., Campbell-Evans, G., (2009), The Inclusive Secondary Teacher: The Leaders' Perspective. Australian Journal of Teacher Education, 34(6), 101-119, Australia.
- Gray, J., (2009), Staying at school: Reflective narratives of resistance and transition. Reflective Practice: International and Multidisciplinary Perspectives, 10(5), 645-656, Oxon, UK, DOI: 10.1080/14623940903290711.
- Gray, J., Hackling, M., (2009), Wellbeing and Retention: A Senior Secondary Student Perspective. Australian Educational Researcher, 36(2), 119-145, The Netherlands.
- Witten, H(., Waugh, R., Gray, J., (2012), School Administrators' Beliefs That School Improvements Were Due to Formal School Registration: A Rasch Measurement. Australian Association for Research in Education (AARE) Conference Proceedings, 21, Sydney.
- Witten, H., Waugh, R., Gray, J., (2012), School administrators' beliefs that actual school improvements were due to formal school registration: Guttman scales and their inter-correlations. Australian Association for Research in Education (AARE) Conference Proceedings, 21, Sydney, Australia.
Research Student Supervision
- Master of Social Science (Human Services), The Construction Of Alienated Students And Students At Educational Risk: A Study Of The Justice And Education Discourse..
- Doctor of Philosophy, Portraits Of Middle Eastern Gulf Female Students In Australian Universities..
- Doctor of Philosophy, An Investigation Into The Challenges Teachers Face When Working In A Low Socio-economic Primary School..
- Master of Education, Institutional Experiences Of Female Child Migrants In Western Australia Between 1948 - 1955.
- Doctor of Education, The Professional Development Of Tourist Police In Thailand: An Investigation Into English Communication Competency..
- Master of Education, The Reality Of Reform: Teachers Reflecting On Curriculum Reform In Western Australia.
- Doctor of Philosophy, Implementation Of Initiatives To Reform The Quality Of Education In Rural Ghanaian Junior High Schools.
- Doctor of Philosophy, Towards The Development Of Inclusive Standards In Secondary Education..
- Doctor of Philosophy, The Effect Of Money As A Context On Students' Mental Computation Performance For Years 3,5,7 And 9..