Top of page
Global Site Navigation


Local Section Navigation
You are here: Main Content

Humanitarian Scholarship

The purpose of the Humanitarian scholarship is to assist undergraduate students who are either first generation descendants of a refugee or are refugees themselves. Applicants must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate bachelor degree course at Edith Cowan University.The scholarship offers a once off payment of $3,000.

Important dates

Opens: 1-03-2021 Closes: 1-04-2021

Applies to

Domestic Undergraduate Coursework

At a glance

  • This scholarship is open to individuals who are current ECU students.
  • Questions about this scholarship can be directed to AskUs.

Eligibility guidelines

In order to meet the eligibility criteria for this scholarship you must:

  • be currently enrolled in an undergraduate bachelor course at ECU,
  • be a refugee or the first generation descendant of such a person, who experienced forced migration and may have entered Australia in a number of ways including;
    • off-shore approved refugee or humanitarian entrant
    • onshore, community based asylum seeker or refugee
    • temporary protection visa holder or
    • family reunion.
  • be able to demonstrate financial hardship;
  • not have any other major scholarship ($1,500 or greater per semester).

How to apply

Application is made via the ECU Online Scholarship Application Portal.

Access to the Portal is available between application opening and closing dates.

Along with your application you will be asked to provide a 500 word personal statement which;

  • outlines your personal goals or what you hope to achieve upon completion of your studies and how this scholarship will help you achieve these goals.
  • describes your families personal and financial circumstances,  past and/or present which have had a significant impact on your life.

You must attach evidence of your or your parent's refugee status when submitting your application. We will accept copies of documentation provided by the Australian Government – Department of Home Affairs – showing entry to Australia on a refugee or humanitarian visa including 'Document for Travel' and Australian Visas for yourself and/or your parents. Please note, if any of the relevant parties are known under a different name to that on their immigration documents, then further evidence of the name change will need to be provided.

For more information

Contact AskUs.

Skip to top of page