Deborah Kirk, DNP, FNP-BC, NP-C, AOCN, FAANP is Associate Dean Postgraduate, Associate Professor at Edith Cowan University, School of Nursing and Midwifery.
She has practiced for more than 25 years as a Nurse with her last 21 as a Nurse Practitioner in oncology, recently managing patients with breast cancer and lymphoma. As a practitioner, she developed and expanded a mobile application for community resources for clinical practice. As an educator, she has developed course work for nurse practitioners interested in oncology and has interest in expanding cancer/palliative nursing in sub-Saharan Africa.
- 2019 - Present: Associate Dean Postgraduate, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Edith Cowan University, Joondalup, Western Australia
- 2017 - Present: Associate Professor, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Edith Cowan University, Joondalup, Western Australia
- 2015 - 2017: Associate Professor: The University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Nursing Birmingham, Alabama
- 2013 - 2017: Coordinator Oncology Subspecialty Nurse Practitioner Track: The University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Nursing Birmingham, Alabama
- 2011 - 2017: Certified Registered Nurse Practitioner, Faculty Practice, The University of Alabama at Birmingham Kirklin Clinic, Comprehensive Cancer Center, Birmingham, Alabama
- 2009 - 2015: Assistant Professor: The University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Nursing Birmingham, Alabama
- 2008 - 2009: Certified Registered Nurse Practitioner: The University of Alabama at Birmingham Kirklin Clinic, Comprehensive Cancer Center, Birmingham, Alabama
- 2006 - 2008: Certified Registered Nurse Practitioner: HOPE Medical Group, Foley, Alabama
- 2005 - 2006: Manager of Clinical Operations, Certified Registered Nurse Practitioner: University of South Alabama, Mitchell Cancer Institute Medical Oncology Mobile, Alabama
- 1999 - 2005: Director of Nurse Practitioner Services/Certified Registered Nurse Practitioner: Montgomery Cancer Center, Montgomery, Alabama.
- American Academy of Nurse Practitioners.
- Australian College of Nurse Practitioners.
- Australian College of Nursing.
- Cancer Nurses Society of Australia.
- Clinical Oncology Society of Australia.
- International Society of Nurses in Cancer Care.
- Multinational Association of Supportive Care in Oncology.
- Oncology Nursing Society
Awards and Recognition
National and International Awards
- 2017 Fulbright Specialist Program Grantee, US Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affair, Namibia, Africa
- 2017 Fellow American Association of Nurse Practitioners, Philadelphia, PA
- 2016 American Cancer Society, Lane Adams Quality of Life Award
- 2014 Fulbright Specialist Program Grantee, Council for International Exchange of Scholars, Fulbright Specialist Program, Malawi, Africa
- 2014 Oncology Nurse Excellence Award Finalist (1 of 4), Academy of Oncology Nurse and Patient Navigators, Orlando, FL
- 2014 Excellence in Nursing 2014 - BMetro, The B Metro Excellence in Nursing Program, Birmingham, AL.
University and National Teaching Awards
- 2015-2016 AACN's Excellence and Innovation in Teaching Award, American Association of Colleges of Nursing, Naples, FL.
Research Areas and Interests
- Supportive Care
- Psycho oncology
- Palliative Care
- Mobile Applications for Practice
- Chronic Disease.