Ken is a Senior Lecturer in Psychology within the School of Arts and Humanities.
- PSY2305 - Individual Differences
- PSY3306 - Psychology, Community and Work
- January 2006-current: Senior Lecturer in Psychology, ECU
- September 2002-December 2005: Head of School, Professional Community Services, Faculty of Regional Professional Studies
- January 2001-2005: Associate Dean (Research and Higher Degrees), Faculty of Regional Professional Studies
- 1998-2004: Director, Centre for Regional Development and Research
- 1996-1998: Director of Research, Nottingham Paediatric Cochlear Implant Programme, Queens Medical Centre University Hospital NHS Trust
- 1991-1996: Scientist, MRC Institute of Hearing Research, Scottish Clinical Outstation, Glasgow
- 1989-1991: Scientific Officer at the MRC Applied Psychology Unit, Cambridge
- 1986-1987: Tutor with the Department of Psychology, The University of Western Australia
- 1985-1987: Research Assistant, Department of Psychology, The University of Western Australia
- 1984-1985: Research Assistant, Western Australian Department of Health
- 1982-1984: Personnel Officer, Woodside Offshore Petroleum, Karratha
- 1979-1982: Personnel Officer, General Motors-Holden's Limited, Melbourne
- Registered Psychologist, PsyBA
- Community Psychology Endorsed Area of Practice, PsyBA
- Member, Australian Psychological Society
- Member, APS College of Community Psychologists
- National Chair, APS College of Community Psychologists 2012-2013
- State Chair, WA Section, APS College of Community Psychologists 2010-11
- Member, Organising Committee, APS Child, Adolescent and Family Interest Group 2008-current.
Awards and Recognition
University and National Teaching Awards
- 2015: Vice-Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching
- 2010 - West Australian Crime and Violence Prevention Award. The Office of Crime Prevention, Perth, for Inside Parents, trial of a parent training and group psychotherapy program aimed to reduce risk of recidivism.
- 2010 - Serco International Australasian Region Pulse Award. Serco International, Sydney. Awarded for Inside Parents, most promising and innovative program.
- 2002 - President’s award for outstanding service to the Regional Chambers of Commerce (WA).
- Co-Chair, ePortfolio Steering Group, Curriculum 2012 (2010-current), and of University CTL Working Party, ECU. Member, ePortfolio University Project Board (2012).
- Member (Elected Staff Rep. 2008-11), University Curriculum, Teaching and Learning Committee, ECU
- Member (Elected Staff Rep. 2001-02, HoS Rep. 2002-05), Academic Board, ECU
- Board Member (Elected Staff Rep. 1999-05), Advisory Board, Faculty of Regional Professional Studies, ECU.
- Board Member (Ministerial Appointment 2000-2003), South West Development Commission, WA
- Hon. Executive Director, Regional Chambers of Commerce (WA) Inc., 2000-2002.
- Member, Management Committee, South West Chambers of Commerce & Industry, 2000-2005
- Member, Scientific Advisory Committee, Val Lishman Health Research Fund, 1999-2003
- Member, Steering Committee, Consortium for Health & Ecology, 2001-2004, ECU
- Director, Vocation and Youth, Bunbury-Leschenault Rotary Club, 2001-2002
Research Areas and Interests
- Individual differences: emotion and emotional regulation, intelligence testing
- Community psychology and social justice: youth, prisoners, reconciliation.
- Process and effectiveness of family therapy
- Training fluid intelligence
- Applying Self-Determination Theory to student retention
- Psychophysiological, behavioural and self-report measures of emotion regulation