Overview of thesis
I am exploring the segrasses meadowspotentiality to be used as archives. They can store biogeochemical elements, such as pollutants and nutrients formillennial, providing a long-term, precise chronicleof coastal history. The purpose of this project is to expand the knowledge about seagrass archives and in particular to assess the usefulness of Australian Posidonia seagrass meadows as natural environmental archives looking at different study cases.
Project link: Seagrass archives reveal centennial-scale metal smelter contamination while acting as metal filters in a high-polluted coastal marine environment
- Master Degree in Marine Biology at Polytechnic University of Marche, Ancona, Italy (2007-2010)
- Bachelor Degree in Environmental Biology at University of Studies of Perugia, Perugia, Italy (2004-2007)
- Stress and Rescue Diver (2015)
- Senior First Aid (current)
- DAN Oxygen Provider (current)
- FIAS: ARA Advanced Open Water Diver
- PADI Open Water Diver
- Environmental history reconstruction
- Coastal and marine management
- Marine zoology and etology
Past Research employment history
- Volunteer at AIMS (Australian Institute of Marine Science), Perth, April 2013- March 2014
- Volunteer at ECU (Edith Cowan University), Perth, April 2013-Setpember 2013
Scholarships and Awards
- ECU Industrial Scholarship
- Scholarship-Project Campus World (Polytechnic University of Marche, Ancona, Italy).
- Bertolino M, Calcinai B, Cattaneo-Vietti R, Cerrano C, Lafratta A, Pansini M, Pica D, Bavestrello G (2013) Stability of the sponge assemblage of Mediterranean coralligenous concretions along a millennial time span. Mar Ecol:1–10
- Bertolino M, Calcinai B, Capellacci S, Cerrano C, Lafratta A, Pansini M, Penna A, Bavestrello G (2012) Posidonia oceanica meadows as sponge spicule traps. Ita J Zool 79:231-23
Conference Publications/ Presentations
- Poster at VIII World Sponge Conference (Girona, 20-14 September 2010):
- M. Bertolino, B. Calcinai, C. Cerrano, A. Lafratta, M. Pansini, D. Pica, G. Bavestrello. The paleo sponge assemblage of the Mediterranean coralligenous.
- M. Bertolino, B. Calcinai, C.Cerrano, A. Lafratta, M. Pansini, G. Bavestrello. Posidonia oceanica meadows as sponge spicule traps.
Ms Anna Lafratta