Angus is Professor in Environmental Management in the School of Science with particular expertise in environmental impact assessment and sustainability.
- SCM3203 Environmental Impact Assessment
- SCI5250 Environmental Impact Assessment Procedures
- SCI2108 Environmental Management and Sustainability
- Extraordinary Professor in Environmental Sciences and Management, Research Unit for Environmental Science and Management, North West University (Potchefstroom campus), South Africa (2010 – present)
- Senior Associate, University of Cambridge Institute for Sustainability Leadership (2015 – present)
- Associate Professor in Environmental Assessment, Environmental and Conservation Sciences, Murdoch University, Australia (2000 – 2017)
- Associate Editor, Environmental Impact Assessment Review journal (2015 –2017)
- Co-Editor of Impact Assessment and Project Appraisal journal (2008 – 2014)
- Lecturer/Coordinator of Environmental Studies, University of Notre Dame Australia, Fremantle, Australia (1996 – 1999)
- International Association for Impact Assessment
- Environmental Consultants Association (WA) Inc.
Awards and Recognition
National and International Awards
- Eric Anderson prize 2016-2017 - Best Paper Australasian Journal of Environmental Management: Larcombe P and A Morrison-Saunders (2017) Managing marine environments and decision-making requires better application of the physical sedimentary sciences, Australasian Journal of Environmental Management, 24:2, 200-221
- Best Poster 2015: Sehaole P, JA Wessels and A Morrison-Saunders (2015), Investigating South Africa Environmental Practitioner's perceptions on the integration of specialist studies in EIA reports, presented at: South African Affiliate of the International Association for Impact Assessment IAIAsa 2015, 20th Annual National Conference What are we achieving? Where are we heading?, 11-14 August 2015, Champagne Sports Resort, Drakensberg, KZN, South Africa.
- International Association for Impact Assessment Outstanding Service Award 2015 - for commitment and service to the International Association for Impact Assessment and Impact Assessment and Project Appraisal journal
- International Association for Impact Assessment 2010 Individual Award for "sustained and significant contribution to environmental impact assessment regionally and internationally, visible through contributions to the ongoing education of impact assessment practitioners, through numerous publications and through generous support of IAIA and its annual conferences". Presented at: The Role of Impact Assessment in Transitioning to the Green Economy, 30th Annual Conference of the International Association for Impact Assessment, 6-11 April 2010, Geneva, Switzerland
- Best Paper 2009 Impact Assessment & Project Appraisal: Weaver, A, J Pope, A Morrison-Saunders and P Lochner (2008) Contributing to Sustainability as an EIA Practitioner, Impact Assessment and Project Appraisal26(2): 91-98
University and National Teaching Awards
- 2006 - Carrick Institute for Learning and Teaching in Higher Education – Citation for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning
- 2006 - Vice-Chancellor's Excellence in Contributions to Student Learning Environment, Murdoch University, Australia
Research Areas and Interests
My research interests all revolve around the translation of policies, legislation and administrative practices into environmental and/or sustainability behaviours and outcomes with a particular focus upon impact assessment. Major topics include:
- efficacy and effectiveness of environmental impact assessment (EIA), strategic environmental assessment (SEA) and sustainability assessment (SA) procedures and practice;
- EIA follow-up and adaptive environmental management;
- environmental education - promoting environmentally appropriate behavioural change through education and environmental interpretation in natural areas (nature-based tourism), including enhancement of tertiary education;
- mine closure planning; and
- effectiveness of self regulation (environmental management systems and corporate environmental reporting) on corporate environmental management.