Pi-Shen is the Director of Accreditation in the School of Business and Law. He is currently conducting research and supervising research students in the areas of entrepreneurship, innovation, international business and human resource management.
Pi-Shen joined the School of Business and Law in July2016.
He has previously held positions at Flinders University andthe University of Adelaide. As Associate Professor at Flinders Business School,Flinders University, he was Program Director of the Bachelor of Business degreeand also Research Higher Degrees and Honours coordinator. He was on the Venture Dorm advisory committeeand the Flinders University-Chinese Academy of Social Sciences (CASS) committee. He began his academic career in Australia asa Lecturer and Senior Lecturer at University of Adelaide's Business School andtaught MBA/MCommerce courses on Entrepreneurship, Organisation Behaviour andLeadership.
A PPE (Philosophy, Politics & Economics) graduate fromOxford University, he completed his PhD at Judge Business School, University ofCambridge where he taught on undergraduates and postgraduate courses. He isvisiting scholar at the Nanyang Technopreneurship Centre, Nanyang TechnologicalUniversity (NTU), Singapore and is part of Adelaide University based FamilyBusiness Education and Research Group.
Before academia, Pi-Shen served more than 13 years as anArmy officer in the Singapore Armed Forces, he was lead Project Officer in theNTU Business Process Review and consulted on UK HEIF projects and is stillactive in his family's business.
Awards and recognition
National and International Awards
- 2012 - Academy of Management Annual Meeting Best Paper Proceedings
- 2012 - Best Paper Prize at the International Conference on Management, Hospitality & Tourism, and Accounting, Jakarta, Indonesia 18-19 May 2012
- 2010/2011 - Australian Private Equity And Venture Capital Association Limited (AVCAL) Private Equity Research Prize
- 2010 - The International Family Enterprise Research Academy (IFERA), Annual Conference Best Research Paper Award
- 2007 - Best Paper Award for Scholarship and Rigour, 7th International Entrepreneurship Forum, Fudan University, Shanghai
University and National Teaching Awards
- 2014 - Flinders University Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences Teaching and Learning Excellence Award
- 2013 - Flinders University Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences Citation for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning
- 2008/2009 - The Scott Henderson Award for Excellence in Learning and Teaching, Business School, University of Adelaide
National and International Research Positions
- 2012 - Now - Visiting scholar, Sino-Foreign Family Business Research Centre, School of Management & Economics, Beijing Institute of Technology
- 2011 - Visiting scholar, Institute of Sociology, Chinese Academy of Social Science (CASS)
- 2010 - 2011 - Flinders University Representative on the South Australian Government’s Manufacturing Thinker in Residence Program
- 2011 - Chinese Academy of Social Science-Flinders University exchange scholar
- 2008 - Kauffman Foundation - American Marketing Academy (AMA) Scholarship
- 2007 - Member, South Australian Government Office of Youth ‘A Team’ on the Adelaide Thinker in Residence Program
- 2006 - Qantas Researcher Travel Support Award for Early Career Researchers
- 2003 - Team Leader of winning team, A.T. Kearney / Judge Business School's Business Plan Competition
- 2003 - Merit Award, SAF Chief of Defence Force (CDF) Paper Competition
- 2002 - Best Paper, SAF Chief of Army Paper Competition
- 2002 - Merit Award, SAF CDF Paper Competition
- 2001 - Best Paper, SAF CDF Paper Competition
- 2000 - Best Paper, SAF CDF Paper Competition
Research areas and interests
- International business and business in Asia
- Organisation behaviour and human resource management