Professor John Olynyk is a consultant Hepatologist in the Department of Gastroenterology at Fiona Stanley Hospital Group and Dean of Clinical Research, Edith Cowan University.
He is also the Honorary Director of Research, Spinnaker Health Research Foundation.
He is a medical advisor to the Haemochromatosis Australia and a consultant for the Lifeblood Australia. He has established internationally recognized research programs in Hereditary Haemochromatosis and disorders of iron metabolism, chronic liver injury, hepatocellular carcinoma and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. He has published over 230 original articles and has a H index of 60.
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians.
- Member, Gastroenterological Society of Australia.
- Member, Section of Hepatology, Gastroenterological Society of Australia.
- Member, New York Academy of Sciences.
- Member, American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases.
- Member, Australian-Pacific Association for the Study of Liver Diseases.
- Member, International Association for the Study of Liver Diseases.
Awards and Recognition
- 2016 - Distinguished Research Prize, Gastroenterological Society of Australia.
- 2015 - OzApp Award Top 20 Finalist for High Ferritin App, Perth.
- 2014 - AASLD Fellow. American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases.
- 2013 - Nominated for John Rowe Award for Consultant Teacher of 2012, Postgraduate Medical Education, Fremantle Hospital.
- 2011 - Highest RPI Points for Publications, Faculty of Health Sciences Prize, Office of Research and Development, Curtin University.
- 1995 - Gastroenterological Society of Australia, Senior Travel Award.
- 1991 - Wellcome Research Prize, Department of Medicine, Flinders Medical Centre, Adelaide.
- 1989 - Best Scientific Paper, South Australian College of Physicians Scientific Meeting.
- 1984 - Helen Jane Lamard Prize in Medicine.